Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honoust insurance problem

Options
  • 08-03-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, I'm 25 and one of these that got insured and didn't care about payments, I missed a late payment on my policy and it has now been cancelled. Yes not a good start I know . I'm looking to get insured now again and I knownitll be difficult. Just wondering if anybody had any experiences with getting cancelled and gettingbinsured again , how difficult is it. I was totally honoust wit my insurer and I was told I'll have to pay my arrears and then maybe pay a new policy in full. But I have been offered a better quote elsewer, should I go ahead with this or will I have trouble here too? Should I stay with my original insurer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

*Honest

Go with whatever is the best value for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

timex711 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 25 and one of these that got insured and didn't care about payments, I missed a late payment on my policy and it has now been cancelled. Yes not a good start I know . I'm looking to get insured now again and I knownitll be difficult. Just wondering if anybody had any experiences with getting cancelled and gettingbinsured again , how difficult is it. I was totally honoust wit my insurer and I was told I'll have to pay my arrears and then maybe pay a new policy in full. But I have been offered a better quote elsewer, should I go ahead with this or will I have trouble here too? Should I stay with my original insurer

If you have had a policy cancelled then you HAVE to tell any prospective new insurer about it.

This will likely mean a lot of them will not quote you.

If you do not tell them then that is non disclosure and in the event of a claim they may not pay out on it. They can also cancel your policy at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

The fact that your policy was cancelled may cause problems. You will have to be honest if asked when getting quotes if the question comes up. In fact you may even be hampered in getting quotes from other companies apart from the original insurer. You won't know until you ring around.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

Macker1 wrote: »
    The fact that your policy was cancelled may cause problems. You will have to be honest if asked when getting quotes if the question comes up. In fact you may even be hampered in getting quotes from other companies apart from the original insurer. You won't know until you ring around.

Best of Luck

Thanks, I intend on being honoust fully. But how do I do this when I buy a online quote off a different company. Like I'm at the brink of buying online insurance. Is this a bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Thanks, I intend on being honoust fully. But how do I do this when I buy a online quote off a different company. Like I'm at the brink of buying online insurance. Is this a bad idea?

There will be an "Assumptions" list when you buy online. Among the list of things insurers will assume about you will be previous claims, convictions, previous cancellations etc. Do not proceed with buying a policy online unless you clear this first with the insurer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Go with whatever quote is better for you, but be completely up front and honest with whichever Insurer you pick.

I'm blue in the facing telling clients there is absolutely nothing to be gained by lying or withholding information.

You will get caught no matter how well you think you've covered your tracks.

Follow up any online quote with a phone call - all online quotes are based on certain assumptions one which usually has to with whether you've had previous policies cancelled.

You need to declare this to the Insurer because while they might quote online, the quote may not stand given your previous history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Not in insurance so I don't know if this would work.

Could OP go back to the insurer who cancelled and plead as follows ;
    1. The failed payment was an administrative mistake on his part.
    2. Reinstate cover from date of cancellation and pay the outstanding premium.
    3. Have the cancellation formally rescinded by the insurer as if the contract had not been terminated.

I appreciate that insurers cannot backdate a certificate of motor insurance. However, is there any technical insurance reason not to backdate cover if the contract is effectively reinstated ?

I only suggest this approach as the OP may well have difficulty obtaining cover elsewhere due to this recent history which might disincline underwriters to take him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

Go with whatever quote is better for you, but be completely up front and honest with whichever Insurer you pick.

I'm blue in the facing telling clients there is absolutely nothing to be gained by lying or withholding information.

You will get caught no matter how well you think you've covered your tracks.

Follow up any online quote with a phone call - all online quotes are based on certain assumptions one which usually has to with whether you've had previous policies cancelled.

You need to declare this to the Insurer because while they might quote online, the quote may not stand given your previous history.

Thanks, I know each case takes a hold of its own but is it common for insurance to reinstate a policy? It's what I want to ideally and just continue on with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks, I know each case takes a hold of its own but is it common for insurance to reinstate a policy? It's what I want to ideally and just continue on with them

Its unlikely the will reinstate you.

All you can do is ring them and plead innocence, blame your employer saying your wages didn't hit your account when it should have and that's why you missed the installment.

Hopefully they will have mercy and take you back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's unlikely in this case, non payment is considered a serious issue but all you can really do is plead your case and hope for the best.

If you were reinstated they would probably have to quote again for a whole new policy and chances the price would go up substantially. You would also be required to pay the premium up front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement