Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audi a4 insurance

Options
  • 08-03-2017 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi all,

i am thinking about buying an audi a4 but was wondering what the insurance cost would be. im 19 and have my full licence for nearly a year. i am currently driving under my dads name on the insurance policy so would it be a good idea to do the same thing with my new car?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ring a few insurance companies and find out. There's no other way really. There's a list of all insurers in Ireland at the top of this forum, you should ring or get quotes online for the car you're looking at and figure out which is cheapest.

I'd hazard a guess and say it won't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maria97

ya i was asking around there and i was told that if i got insured under my dads name again even though it wouldnt be cheap it would still be cheaper than getting it in my own name :) thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

What year and engine size are you looking at? Obviously the bigger the engine the more expense if you go for an older one. If you go for a newer one you'll have somewhat cheaper insurance, but the car will cost you more.

What I did was I had a 1.2 Clio in my own name for 6 months and then I bought a 1.9 93. All I did was pay a little to change my car with my insurance. I'm with axa and I'm 23. That might be an option for you if you're getting stupid quotes.

Other than that, as said above, just ring around, and see what you're options are. And keep in mind that despite wanting an a4, you mightn't be able to afford it depending on how insurance goes.

Good luck with the hunting!

what car was the 1.9? im driving a 00 polo at the minute but the plan is to sell that on, see how much i get for it and then make a decision. im looking at a 1.6 litre coz i was told the higher it is the dearer the insurance which is true.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

maria97 wrote: »
    ya i was asking around there and i was told that if i got insured under my dads name again even though it wouldnt be cheap it would still be cheaper than getting it in my own name :) thanks for the help!

What you're suggesting there is known as fronting. It's illegal, and the insurance companies know well when it happens.

Your best bet is to get your own policy, even if it is painful for the first couple of years. You may need to consider different cars if the premium is too much.

As for whether one engine would be cheaper than another. There is no rule that says the smaller the engine, the lower the premium. The insurers will have their own ways of calculating risk on cars. The only way you'll find out which is cheaper is to ask for quotes on a range of cars.

• Advertisement

do you know can you do that online or do you actually have to ring the insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

You may not be quoted online given your age. Your best bet is to ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

what car was the 1.9? im driving a 00 polo at the minute but the plan is to sell that on, see how much i get for it and then make a decision. im looking at a 1.6 litre coz i was told the higher it is the dearer the insurance which is true.

The one i have now is a 1.9. Its a 2008 Saab 93.

I work with a lad that has an 05 1.6 a3, and he wasnt robbed on insurance for it. Has had it 2 years, but was 22 when he got it with his license for 2 years.

Check out different years as well. Axa and aviva can do online quotes. So it can give you an idea of what youre looking at. If your parents have insurance with them, you can get discounts on your own policy. I did this with Axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

That's called fronting and it's completely illegal, I wouldn't even consider it. You and your Dad would both be in serious trouble if you got caught, which inevitably you would.

You're best option, from my experience working in Insurance, is to insure the car in your own name with your parents as named drivers.

That said, you're only 19 and an Audi A4 is a high powered car so you are going to have pay above the odds for the time being no matter what.

Do you really need such a big, high powered car starting off? Would you not consider a smaller cheaper car to begin with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

That said, you're only 19 and an Audi A4 is a high powered car so you are going to have pay above the odds for the time being no matter what.

Do you really need such a big, high powered car starting off?

It is not a big car, and it is not high powered. The 1.6 is laughably slow. And anyway, the OP already has a Polo and full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

It is not a big car, and it is not high powered. The 1.6 is laughably slow. And anyway, the OP already has a Polo and full license.

And is only 19. That will cause a huge loading on the policy.

Advertisement