Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laws

Options
  • 08-03-2017 4:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

does anyone know or know where i could find about about the laws and rights of staying in a caravan/campervan.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In relation to what? Staying on the side of a road, using it as your principal residence, or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭shenno

Sorry I was vague.

Just like a general outline.
    Can you park them on the road?
    Is it the same for campervans as caravans?
    Can you park it on the road and sleep there some nights but it would not be your main residence say if you already had a house?
    If so what roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

shenno wrote: »
    Sorry I was vague.

Just like a general outline.
    Can you park them on the road?
    If it's taxed tested and insured yes same as any car,van...

Is it the same for campervans as caravans?
    No clue

Can you park it on the road and sleep there some nights but it would not be
    your main residence say if you already had a house?
    No but it is seldom enforced, depends on local by laws...

If so what roads?

Basically I wild camp most of the time surfing, but some places like strandhill you aren't supposed to but nobody ever says anything, technically you could be moved on (if sober) or get a ticket. AIRS are opening up to where you can say short term for very little or free

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g315880-d2368764-r402358351-Carlingford_Marina-Carlingford_Cooley_Peninsula_County_Louth.html

If it's not your main residence I don't see the problem. For example I could nearly say a truck driver lives in his truck if he spends most of his time there but there is obviously no issues there. So if I go round to my caravan for a few hours why would it be a problems if it's not my main residence. Is it illegal just to sit in it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Is it illegal just to sit in it??

Yes knock yourself out. It literally takes 10 seconds to find this info on google because its all summed up for the travelling community.

http://itmtrav.ie/keyissues/myview/23

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/act/18/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2002/act/9/section/24/enacted/en/html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1993/act/14/section/69/enacted/en/html

Further to those leaving it unoccipied on the side of the road could be pursued under the waste management acts and probably others.

• Advertisement

That's talking about caravans. What about campervans with a engine?

Is it ok to sleep in a regular car, a truck ,a campervan? Where is the definite line does anyone know.

So if I go round to my caravan for a few hours why would it be a problems if it's not my main residence. Is it illegal just to sit in it??
    That's talking about caravans.

As were you

Campervan?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There was a lad living in a converted 55 seater coach across from UCD on the N11 for a long time, he then moved to near HP in Leixlip. He'd a nice looking Harley for his commute. I know he was moved on from the N11 as I think he was using a coach/truck bay, no idea why he moved from Leixlip.

So it's legal so long as it has an engine in it? It's not illegal to park a truck on the road or bus is it. To stay in it?

• Advertisement

So it's legal so long as it has an engine in it? It's not illegal to park a truck on the road or bus is it. To stay in it?

It is illegal in many situations and as spacehopper already told you parking depends on local byelaws.

There are tons of laws that could be applied should the council, guards etc want to pursue it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/enacted/en/html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1983/si/91/made/en/print
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2002/act/12/section/11/enacted/en/html

Shouldn't you be studying for your leaving cert instead of pipedreaming about living on the side of the road.

Thanks for posting that but which link should I be looking at

If you can legally park a van or bus of the same size there you can park (not camp) but there are limit's most dublin city pay and display parking is resident only or 3 hours max. So you can park for 3 hours. Lots of car parks have signs saying no over night parking....

There have to be rules and limits other wise it would be a free for all. But if you careful and respectful you can bend and break a few rules, it only takes one bad camper to muck it up for everybody else.

What about in the suburbs?
    One of my neighbours parks a big van down a road a little bit away all the time and people never say anything or the corpo.

So if I was to spend time in one would I only get away with it being a normal looking van or could I get away with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What about in the suburbs?
    One of my neighbours parks a big van down a road a little bit away all the time and people never say anything or the corpo.

So if I was to spend time in one would I only get away with it being a normal looking van or could I get away with someone else?

It all depends on the people living where you park.

• Administrators Posts: 13,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Are you planning on living in a van/campervan/caravan on the side of a road? Would it not make more sense to move house? Do you live with your parents? Are you renting? Do you own the house and pay a mortgage on it? Could you sell the house and move to some place quieter. If you live 'at home' could you move out and rent somewhere?

There are more options than living in the back of a van.

Do you own the house and pay a mortgage on it?

For the benefit of anyone looking to help this guy out. I thought he might be a troll from afterhours or something so I looked at his past post - he said he was in 4th year in school in 2015 so is extremely unlikely to follow any of this through. That also explains the inability to use the search function, google, read replies to his posts and read links provided. Can't say I was any different at that age :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Have a search for stealth van camping. Nobody would even notice a white van parked up, rooflight windows.
    Anyway, theres a whole group of people that live in caravans etc. you catch my drift.

There are more options than living in the back of a van.

I'd take a van over an apartment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have a search for stealth van camping. Nobody would even notice a white van parked up, rooflight windows.
    Anyway, theres a whole group of people that live in caravans etc. you catch my drift.
    Wouldn't get insured here (as a campervan), as far as I remember. I think one of the conditions is rear side window. Probably also an issue with revenue.

• Advertisement

Thanks for informing people on this cause it's important. Why wouldnt I follow this through.

I've already searched the options and can't find anything to suit me. I don't have control over the house

Does anyone know over night car parks or places I could park it in Dublin.

• Administrators Posts: 13,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I don't have control over the house

ie you live at home? Most car parks in Dublin, even in the suburbs don't allow overnight parking. You might get away with it for a night or two but not much longer than that. Can we clarify are you talking about a car/van/caravan or campervan? Do you have a driving licence? Do you have a car/van/caravan or campervan? Are you going up be able to afford one? And the tax/insurance etc? Where are you hoping to sleep at night? If you could give a rough idea of the area people could steer you on the right direction as to where you might park. You won't find too many neighbourhoods in the suburbs who would be happy to see a van/caravan/campervan parked on their road and a young lad getting up out of it every morning.

I think your best bet, if you're a student, is move to a college away from home! Or if you're working get a houseshare somewhere. Also you could buy heavy and lined curtains for your windows which would help someway towards the noise. Is there a room at the back of the house you could sleep in?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Shouldn't you be studying for your leaving cert instead of pipedreaming about living on the side of the road.

Nothing wrong with that. I also spend many valuable study hours dreaming about being in the back of my camper.

If you are under 25 then you probably woun't be able to get insurance in one of the camper group schemes

I'd get someone else to also if I never drove the thing around and got people to tow it around

I'd get someone else to also if I never drove the thing around and got people to tow it around

I used to be in a Surf Club, one of the youth members was about 16 and was given a converted ambulance that has a blown engine. He got it transported to Easky in Sligo to use as a base for surfing. The first trip up we all took turns to freak the poor kid out kept asking him if he knew if anybody ever died in the back of it.... he ended up borrowing a tent that night.

Advertisement