Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500% increase

Options
  • 08-03-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

After getting my commercial van renewal and it's 3500 it was 700 last year.i had an accident a claim of 5000 was settled but I also had a drunk damage my parked van a few years ago it cost 2800 to fix the gardai hadn't enough evidence to bring a case so I had to foot the bill.but all of this now no one wants to insure me bar the company I'm with they have told like it or lump it that's what it's going to cost.
    Could I put the van into my wife's name and Insure me as a names driver.realistly I can't afford this price .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

reiger wrote: »
    After getting my commercial van renewal and it's 3500 it was 700 last year.i had an accident a claim of 5000 was settled but I also had a drunk damage my parked van a few years ago it cost 2800 to fix the gardai hadn't enough evidence to bring a case so I had to foot the bill.but all of this now no one wants to insure me bar the company I'm with they have told like it or lump it that's what it's going to cost.
    Could I put the van into my wife's name and Insure me as a names driver.realistly I can't afford this price .

What's your occupation?

Have you lost your bonus as a result of the most recent claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Technically putting car into your wife's name but only you drive it is "fronting"
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/all-insurers-set-to-clamp-down-on-young-drivers-using-parents-policies-35081792.html

It's usually done by youngsters whose parents front as main driver but never drive the car.

If insurer catches on to this they will invalidate the policy and yourself and the missus could both be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

I'm a plumber why does my occupation matter

So the fact I have had my wife insured in my van in the past I was breaking the law?? Well I was upfront with the insurer and they never had an issue.
    I think when your a married couple is it not diffrent to a young fella trying to use his mother to cut his policy cost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm a plumber why does my occupation matter

Different jobs have different premiums.
    3500 seems a bit high for a single incident.

Have you accumulated penalty points or anything else on your record?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

So the fact I have had my wife insured in my van in the past I was breaking the law?? Well I was upfront with the insurer and they never had an issue.
    I think when your a married couple is it not diffrent to a young fella trying to use his mother to cut his policy cost

There is no problem having your wife as a named driver, but there is in having her take out a commercial policy in her name to get around your difficult claim history.

Firstly, commercial vehicle policies are designed for 'use in connection with the insured's business' and I'll assume she is not a plumber also. Secondly, you would have to declare your claims history to the insurer if you want to be added as a driver. If you go for an Open Drive policy, the condition will be something like 'driver's 25 - 70 with full licence, no accidents or convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only the insurers can tell you for sure.

I bought an old 04 car today for 300 euro I can insure it no problem with multiple companies for around 1000 and that is telling them all I have points and 2 claims in the last 3 years.there happy to quote me yet many of the same companies would not quote me with the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

did you try new ireland or insuremyvan? if they're not who you're with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

cravings wrote: »
    did you try new ireland or insuremyvan? if they're not who you're with.

New Ireland are a Life Assurance Company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

sorry yes, First ireland i meant.. (i'm even insured with them and forgot their name hehe)

but they're offering commercial insurance these days and were the cheapest i could find for my car at least.

Advertisement