Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking Honour Physics BUT Ordinary Maths?

Options
  • 08-03-2017 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

My son has to pick his LC subject choices. He has an interest in engineering so career guidance said Physics would be a good subject choice. However he is only doing Maths Ordinary Level and some of his friends currently in fifth year are saying it would be very difficult to do Physics HL with ordinary Maths. He doesn't want to end up having to drop to Physics Ordinary down the line.

Anybody any experience/thoughts on this issue?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I'd say HL Physics is doable without HL Maths, but is Engineering? He should check the entry requirements at various colleges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    I'd say HL Physics is doable without HL Maths, but is Engineering? He should check the entry requirements at various colleges.
    I'd agree with this. I'd go further as well and ask for those courses that allow entry without HL Maths is the content easily accessible for someone without the mathematics background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you want to be an engineer then Maths is going to be a large requirement.
    If he is struggling with Maths then its not a good sign.

If he a capable of doing higher physics then he really should be capable of doing higher maths.

Maybe he just needs some tutoring to get him up to higher maths speed and then he can move into that class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

A quick google of different courses around the country shows that a higher level of maths gives him more choice.

Electrical Engineering
    NUIG requires higher level maths H4 grade which is 60-70%
    GMIT requires a O4 or H7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Sorry OP you may get in to some engineering courses without HL maths but your son will be at a real disadvantage. from memory (28 years ago) first year was primarily maths or physics supported by maths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi,

My son has to pick his LC subject choices. He has an interest in engineering so career guidance said Physics would be a good subject choice. However he is only doing Maths Ordinary Level and some of his friends currently in fifth year are saying it would be very difficult to do Physics HL with ordinary Maths. He doesn't want to end up having to drop to Physics Ordinary down the line.

Anybody any experience/thoughts on this issue?

Thanks.

jebus, i hate our educational system! i actually done higher physics and lower maths, over 20 years ago now so details are sketchy now, think i got a c something in physics and a1 maths, should have tried the higher but whatever. i now have an engineering degree but went a roundabout way of getting it.

our system is simply dreadful, asking kids what they wanna be when all they wanna be is kids, i.e. just make sure he enjoys what hes studying and is able for the level he choses. ignore the future as im sure hell be fine, he may end up working in a completely different field and loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

In my school, the lads who are doing HL Maths are doing HL Physics, and those doing OL Maths have all dropped to OL Physics bit by bit. I really couldn't recommend physics to someone doing OL maths, sure it's doable, but it would make life a lot easier to pick something less numbers-based if numbers aren't your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can't comment on HL Physics OL Maths other than let him at it, people have different aptitudes for different portions of different subjects.

I'm studying Engineering at the minute and in first year there's a lot of physics, in second it's primarily calculus, for electronic anyways. Calculus isn't most of the HL Maths course unless it's changed in two years, so even with OL Maths he should be fine to study engineering as he'll primarily need calculus, there's people in my year flying that only did OL Maths at Leaving Cert, with no physics at all.

A lot of colleges offer Access Courses, some over summer, some as year long courses so if he feels his maths isn't up to scratch, have him enroll in one of the summer courses and take it from there.

Regardless, there's absolutely no reason he won't be fit for HL Physics with OL Maths.
    A quick google of different courses around the country shows that a higher level of maths gives him more choice.

Electrical Engineering
    NUIG requires higher level maths H4 grade which is 60-70%
    GMIT requires a O4 or H7
    In addition, students must obtain a minimum of Grade H4 in the Higher Level Leaving Certificate paper in Mathematics or, alternatively, obtain a pass in the Special Engineering Entrance Examination in Mathematics (held in the University).

http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_min_details&id=1&ID=2510&course=d&jcert=&JCcourse=&flagCourseSelection=1

Also OP if he wants to study Engineering tell him to put his first choice first (obviously) and then Undenominated Engineering, which usually has lower points. Gives him two chances at being accepted, it's the same course in first year regardless of what denomination you choose, it's a shambles to drive points up.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

For LC physics, I wouldn't say you need HL maths but you would definitely need a solid grasp of algebra. There's maths in every part of the course, and some of the mechanics can get very technical but most of the maths isn't too bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi All,

Thanks for all the useful input. Still to make up his mind. From my past experience, time and life's curve balls will have just as much influence as the subjects you pick. I'm in favour of picking the subjects you like rather than the subjects you think you need unless you are one of the lucky students who are 100% definite about the career you want. Anyway time will tell. Thanks again for input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement