Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to get started in coding?

Options
  • 08-03-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm looking to get in to coding/development and I'm not sure the best way to go. Currently working in marketing. I don't have any techie experience other than working closely with Web designers but not actually doing it myself.

I don't have time to do a course so looking more at learning online in my own time.

My objective is to get skills that would allow me to earn a modest salary by working from home.

Could anyone advise what language(s) I should start with or how to get started.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I would check out Code Academy and do some of their free online courses. They are really interactive and provide help and constant feedback. If you do a few you might find out which languages you enjoy more than others.

There is a huge demand for experienced JavaScript developers using the usual Angular, React and plain vanilla JS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Talisman

Start by choosing a language that is probably the easiest to learn - Python.

Learn Python The Hard Way

Learn by doing, not by watching videos, or copying and pasting code from other sources.

By the time you complete that you will merely have dipped your toe in the ocean and have yet to learn how to swim. It won't get you a job because there is a whole lot more to it than sitting on your arse in front of a computer and typing for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woolygloves

Thanks to both of you.

So start with Java or Python.

Whats the best way to get employable skills then, set up my own site to work on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Talisman

grahamor wrote: »
    I would check out Code Academy and do some of their free online courses. They are really interactive and provide help and constant feedback. If you do a few you might find out which languages you enjoy more than others.

There is a huge demand for experienced JavaScript developers using the usual Angular, React and plain vanilla JS
    I wouldn't recommend learning JavaScript as a first language outside of a controlled environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

My first language was python! it's fairly nice in terms of readability, also is not a strongly typed language. Java is e.g. your variable that is a number, must always be a number, in python you variable can be anything. Use python to get up to speed on some of the core programming concepts and then just read and expand your knowledge, work on building some fun games with it like hangman, tic tac toe, connect 4.

After that and you know the basics either continue with python or start looking into front end stuff such as Javascript. Once you know the basic concepts you'll be able to transition between languages fairly handily.

After you've gotten the basics down also start to look at design patterns that'll help you learn. Look for some Open Source projects and if you don't feel able to contribute just read the code thats there and see if you can understand it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woolygloves

Thanks. So is it possible with some effort to learn enough to be employable just by studying myself at home? I have a few friends and family members who can advise me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

*Following*

In a similar industry to you OP but would love to find out more about coding having worked alongside web developers and coders. Seems so interesting, even if intense but such a demand for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

+1 for CodeAcademy ( https://www.codecademy.com/ )

I'd also recommend checking out thenewboston ( https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston ), for a few projects.

With coding, I find it's best to "work backwards". In that have the end product or service in mind and work backwards with how you would approach building it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks. So is it possible with some effort to learn enough to be employable just by studying myself at home? I have a few friends and family members who can advise me also.

Not really no. You would need experience on real world projects in real life environments. Its the main reason why colleges have work experience programmes.

Also, without some sort of recognised qualification, you are largely reducing the pool of prospective employers.

I would recommend an accredited evening course to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

freecodecamp.com is geared towards the self thought. If you click the Map button in the top rhs of the site, it'll give you an idea of whats involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement