Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microdisectomy for disc - Cost and advise for self paying patient

Options
  • 07-03-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi

I am suffering from 3 bulging discs of which one is blocking the nerve root canal down my leg. This is going on for ages and at this point I am now able to properly function.
    I am also self employed in a very seasonal occupation with the most work coming in over the next months and I won't be able to do my job anymore.

I do not have health cover and I was told that the waiting list at the moment is roughly 2.5 years.
    I already paid for MRI and consultant out of my pocket, plus one epidural injection for 400 euro too which did not give me one bit of help. Also seeing physiotherapist a couple of times a week on top to my expenses.
    Painkillers are no longer working either/

Consultant refered me to the Mater Private which quoted me roughly 5200 Euro including surgeon fee for microdisectomy

Are there any other options I could consider. Thing is it has to happen sooner or later as I need to get back to work.
    Does anyone has any experience with this as a self paying patient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

I had 2 microdiskectomies in the Mater Private in 09 & 13 with Paraic O'Neill (now retired) and the price you have been quoted is about right for there. I had to have a spinal fusion last year and was referred to Michael Kelleher in Santry Sports Clinic. I am lucky to have private health insurance but I suggest you ring Santry, you may well find that their prices are cheaper than the Mater Private.

Advertisement