Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Investing

Options
  • 06-03-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Was wondering what the best advice would be for investing an amount of money say 200 euro. Saw an post offering bonds that give maybe 1% interest after one year. I studied business so i understand that with inflation that basically puts me back to where i started? Prize bonds? Savings Account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

€200 as a once-off sum is such a small amount you're as well off putting it into your wallet until you'll need to spend it. However if you had €200 to invest on a monthly basis, you could easily invest in the stock market through an online low-cost broker like DeGiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 farmerjoe50

but wouldn't banks see me as liability in future if they saw I once invested money in stock through bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

Nah, the algorithms that approve/reject online applications will see it that way. However when you talk face to face, show your assets and more importantly your profits and income, they will give you what ever you want.

Any advice in investing in stocks, not specific just in general? Mightn't invest at all but trying out stock simulator to see if I could get a tidy profit after a while

I'm just wondering how liquid the investment would be in a company like Coca cola and what you're opinions would be. I currently reading William O'Neal's How to make money out of stocks even though its pretty old as I bought it in a charity shop. Also the De Giro website is looking for my PPS number so I'm a bit skeptical. could I be charged taxes if I invest in stocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm just wondering how liquid the investment would be in a company like Coca cola and what you're opinions would be. I currently reading William O'Neal's How to make money out of stocks even though its pretty old as I bought it in a charity shop. Also the De Giro website is looking for my PPS number so I'm a bit skeptical. could I be charged taxes if I invest in stocks
    Well you are charged taxes (CGT) on profits on shares when you sell them.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/buy-sell/shares.html

Does anyone mind mentioning here that they have experience trading in stocks on De Giro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

The simplest method I've read about so far is to invest in Low cost index funds or ETFs, using Dollar/Euro cost averaging. Google for more info.

You could assign portions of your money to the following:
    • Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF (VUSA)
    • Vanguard FTSE Developed Europe UCITS ETF (VEUR)
    • Bonds
    • Cash
    • Precious Metals

Another relatively simple approach is the Dividend Aristocrats (google for more info).

KBC have a 3.5% regular savings account, if you have €100-1000 to save per month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The simplest method I've read about so far is to invest in Low cost index funds or ETFs, using Dollar/Euro cost averaging. Google for more info.

You could assign portions of your money to the following:
    • Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF (VUSA)
    • Vanguard FTSE Developed Europe UCITS ETF (VEUR)
    • Bonds
    • Cash
    • Precious Metals

Another relatively simple approach is the Dividend Aristocrats (google for more info).

KBC have a 3.5% regular savings account, if you have €100-1000 to save per month.

That KBC account is only 3%. I wouldn't rely on that rate staying that way for too long. Regular savers account rates have a tendency to turn to shít over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

That KBC account is only 3%. I wouldn't rely on that rate staying that way for too long. Regular savers account rates have a tendency to turn to shít over time.
    So it is! it was 4% when I signed up. 3.5% for a long time and as you say it's 3% now.

Still, if I get a year at 3% or above I'm reasonably happy for virtually no effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

omerin wrote: »

It's an extra regular saver account no the standard regular saver. You need to open an extra current account with them for it.

https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account/extra

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Hi guys, iv been interested in investing for quite some time now (have approx 25k with 1k monthly additional disposable income) but haven't yet jumped the gun. Namely because most of the information out there is for usa. I guess I'm looking for specifics for Ireland. Is there any good repositories of knowledge?
    1. How to invest (websites/apps)?
    There's a lot of mentions here but some sites are over 5 years old. In terms of strategy I reckon I will be holding some stocks a few months to years and "day trading" others (more likely 1-4 weeks).
    2. Tax liabilities and offsets vs normal income (revenue.ie looks OK but i guess I just want 4-5 scenarios e.g.)
    Can losses in investing be offset vs regular income.
    How are profits taxed assuming I make above 33k threshold. Simply 33% on profit for a financial year?
    3. Any recommendations for updates/media in ireland? Just incase there are changes to regulations i need to be aware of. Papers? Websites? Etc

I have approx 2hrs in morning im going to start dedicating to this and 1-2 in evening too. Mostly interested in tech sector currently

Thanks in advance for anything on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭galway321

If you have a small amount to invest I would recommend using either Twino or Mintos online platforms. They are very easy to set up an account with and use. Pre-tax returns are generally in the 10-12% range. Obviously it's not risk free - if the company goes under you lose your investment.

Check out other threads on boards in relation to these companies and visit their webpages. I've been using both for a number of months an I am very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Would 25k plus 1k a month be considered small?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭galway321

I was responding to the original post and not to Kenyard's - I'd only love to have 25k plus 1k a month to invest!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kenyard wrote: »
    Hi guys, iv been interested in investing for quite some time now (have approx 25k with 1k monthly additional disposable income) but haven't yet jumped the gun. Namely because most of the information out there is for usa. I guess I'm looking for specifics for Ireland. Is there any good repositories of knowledge?
    1. How to invest (websites/apps)? De Giro.
    There's a lot of mentions here but some sites are over 5 years old. In terms of strategy I reckon I will be holding some stocks a few months to years and "day trading" others (more likely 1-4 weeks). You do not have the skill to day trade; forget about that idea.

I have approx 2hrs in morning im going to start dedicating to this and 1-2 in evening too. Mostly interested in tech sector currently. Start reading the books on investment strategies (A Random Walk Down Wall Street, One up on Wallstreet, intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham etc.) and forget tech companies. Tech is a black hole for suckers more often than not along with bio tech companies. Tons of wannabies, tons of "we'll be bigger than Google in 5 years" and insanely high failure rates. If it sounds cool you don't want to touch it is a good starting point unless you want to lose money.
    Few answers for you; once you know the magic formula, magic formula with movement and can read company financial statements and understand what all the line items actually entail you'll be ready to start considering day trading though by then you're unlikely to want to day trade (and would move more towards event trading if anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TheFin

Anyone know what the icon "Category" means beside each product in DeGiro? For example some ETF's are Category G, some shares are Category A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

TheFin wrote: »
    Anyone know what the icon "Category" means beside each product in DeGiro? For example some ETF's are Category G, some shares are Category A

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/class.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement