Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog jumping up

Options
  • 06-03-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

Quick question.

How do you stop a dog jumping up on visitors when some people (annoyingly) encourage it?

I try to intercept and give a stern "no" to the dog.

Any other advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

frash wrote: »
    Quick question.

How do you stop a dog jumping up on visitors when some people (annoyingly) encourage it?

I try to intercept and give a stern "no" to the dog.

Any other advice?

what age is the dog?

is it only with visitors or you as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

I've this issue too. Me and visitors, only when they first arrive. I haven't tried this yet but saw it on some pet doctor thing, when people arrive at your house you keep the dog away from the door, keep eye contact, with your hand out saying stay, let the person in still keeping eye contact and talking to the dog. Let the person walk by and Give the dog a treat if it stays. Practice practice practice, sounds too easy I know, worked wonders on tv for fairly wild dogs so hopefully will work with our stubborn lurcher, we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

cocker5 wrote: »
    what age is the dog?

is it only with visitors or you as well?

2.5 years old

mainly visitors but us the odd time also
    we say "no" and discourage by pushing away with knee as a "no hands" approach which seems to work

also happens when in an 'off-lead allowed' area if we meet people who the dog knows (Killiney Hill for those who know it)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Turn the movements and noises people make to encourage her to jump up into a cue to Sit.
    Real-life training!

Assuming she knows how to sit to a verbal cue, first make a not-too-exagerrated signal for her jump up on you, then stop, and ask her to Sit. Give her a treat. Tell her she's fab.
    With a few repetitions, you should find that she starts to pre-empt the verbal Sit cue when she sees you making toned-down efforts to get her to jump up, and she will sit. Treats and praise, lots of.
    Now you can gradually become more animated in your efforts to encourage her to jump up, you can also start to add in sounds. At each stage, stop, and ask her to Sit. Treat and praise. Though yoyshoukd find that at this stage, you can stop asking her to Sit, because by now, she has learned an important equation:
    Human acting like a loon = Park your butt = get treats and praise.
    To illustrate, I can at this stage do the Riverdance (unabridged version) in front of my dogs, and they will just sit, and watch me in utter wonderment and awe at my Flatley-esque skills.
    Don't forget that graduating her on to new people needs to happen too, so that she generalises her new skill to all humans. It might be useful to attach a lead to her in the early days to stop errant visitors undoing all your good work... If she's on lead, you can set up training opportunities without her being able to jump up, you can stop her rehearsing the unwanted behaviour.
    Oh... And stop the kneeing-in-the-chest... If you're still having to do it, then it's not effective... Plus it tends to be abused by people who can end up hurting the dog, either by the direct kneeing, or when the dog landing a heap on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

DBB wrote: »
    Turn the movements and noises people make to encourage her to jump up into a cue to Sit.
    Real-life training!

Assuming she knows how to sit to a verbal cue, first make a not-too-exagerrated signal for her jump up on you, then stop, and ask her to Sit. Give her a treat. Tell her she's fab.
    With a few repetitions, you should find that she starts to pre-empt the verbal Sit cue when she sees you making toned-down efforts to get her to jump up, and she will sit. Treats and praise, lots of.
    Now you can gradually become more animated in your efforts to encourage her to jump up, you can also start to add in sounds. At each stage, stop, and ask her to Sit. Treat and praise. Though yoyshoukd find that at this stage, you can stop asking her to Sit, because by now, she has learned an important equation:
    Human acting like a loon = Park your butt = get treats and praise.
    To illustrate, I can at this stage do the Riverdance (unabridged version) in front of my dogs, and they will just sit, and watch me in utter wonderment and awe at my Flatley-esque skills.
    Don't forget that graduating her on to new people needs to happen too, so that she generalises her new skill to all humans. It might be useful to attach a lead to her in the early days to stop errant visitors undoing all your good work... If she's on lead, you can set up training opportunities without her being able to jump up, you can stop her rehearsing the unwanted behaviour.
    Oh... And stop the kneeing-in-the-chest... If you're still having to do it, then it's not effective... Plus it tends to be abused by people who can end up hurting the dog, either by the direct kneeing, or when the dog landing a heap on the floor.

Thanks for all that.

Just on the knee - it's more of a push off to the side than anything. More to avoid the "reward" on using my hands which she'd probably think of as a rub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

frash wrote: »
    Thanks for all that.

Just on the knee - it's more of a push off to the side than anything. More to avoid the "reward" on using my hands which she'd probably think of as a rub.

Yep, that's what I figured you were doing... It's other people you need to be careful of, as they tend to do it far too forcefully.

Advertisement