Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS found on Lugnaquilla

Options
  • 05-03-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

A hill-walking buddy of mine found a brand new GPS on Lugnaquilla in the first or second week of January and has been trying to re-unite it with its owner ever since. If you did loose one on or near Lug will you let me know? I'll put you in touch with him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

If you re-start the gps, the start up screen may have a welcome note. Some users change this to their contact details. Any waypoints listed?? Its not a stretch of the imagination that they have "home" listed. Worth a try. Well done. Very honest to post. Maybe flag with local mountain rescue. They may repost on their respective facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Even if it doesn't have any waypoints added yet, see if there are any tracks recorded, even very short ones. The owner may have tried it out first in their back garden. Also many people accidentally leave it on and then drive home so it may have a track recorded leading all the way back to their house.

Tracks are auto archived on a daily or weekly basis, or when the current track memory is full. There may be some clues there. Look in Track manager > Archived tracks, or connect up to a PC and look in /Garmin/GPX/Archive for GPX files.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If it's anything like mine, there is at least one track recorded which accidentally includes a car journey back to my house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hmmm wrote: »
    If it's anything like mine, there is at least one track recorded which accidentally includes a car journey back to my house :)
    Does wonders for the moving average speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Alun wrote: »
    Does wonders for the moving average speed :D

I recently discovered that viewranger works in flight mode. Alt gain went through the ROOF on a trip to Norway!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement