Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Indoor Masters

Options
  • 05-03-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

I know there were a bunch of boardsies competing, how did you all get on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Fantastic day of athletics, some really high performance. Everything (just about) ran bang on time, super big thanks to all who made this happen.

I was very happy with my 1500. All the big guns showed up - in all categories, 0/35, o/40 and o/45 - so I knew a medal would only be a realistic possibility if it was a slow (for them :eek:) tactical race. It wasn't.
    So I was 7th overall and 4th in my category but a bright and shiny new indoors PB of 5:06.

That's my third indoor race (ever) and the progression since the end of January has been:
    5:17 (dis.aster);
    5:12 last week in the Leinsters and
    5:06 today so a v happy aul wan here. It also beats my outdoor PB by 5 seconds. I can just about smell that sub-5....

I move up to the o/45s in May. Who'da thunk I'd be looking forward to getting older :D

Missed DNA, BG and Mulberry had a good day but will let them tell themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Happy to get 2nd in 1500m with a 1s PB in 4:27.51 Was well behind the winner but only 0.04s ahead of 3rd. Kicked off the 2nd last bend and just caught quality rival on the dip.
    We both move up a category for summer but I actually prefer the indoors.
    A well run event that actually was ahead of schedule. Only problem was missing the euros in Belgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

The 60 was up first and I managed a silver though not happy with the race. Felt like I struggled all the way and wasn't relaxed. Last week's mystery time at the Leinsters was probably better although I'll never know! It felt better anyway. And I should say that I brought my (known) PB down from 9.03 at the Baseline meet in December to 8.77. Lots more work on the blocks will help bring that down more. I am woeful out of the blocks, I spend 60 meters trying to catch up in every single race.

The 200 was four hours later and every bit of my focus and mental energy had dissipated during that time resulting in a shocking time. Our category was split into two, plenty of drama in the first heat with my clubmate winning on the line with a massive PB. My heat was next and I was up against one brilliant runner, and one unknown. Bit of background, this event is usually won in 29.XX unless a certain super-runner AS turns up. She's doesn't make an appearance very often but she did yesterday and thrashed us all with a 27.83. Not only that but another runner who'd normally do 29 mid-high has obviously been training hard and ran a smashing race to take 2nd in 28.68. I came third in the heat, paranoid about being in Lane 2 (and Lane 6 was free grrr), intimidated by the Speedies alongside me and mentally weary from the long day and the mental exertion of the 60 earlier on. My time was a pitifully slow 29.66, a good bit away from the 28.99 I'd been targeting.

You can't win em all can ya!

Aside from my own running it was a super day's entertainment, with lots of clubmates and boardsies to add a bit of extra spice to the spectating. And I have to say the standard across the board is rising fast. A lot of senior runners must now moving in this masters event. Some athletes were just miles ahead of the field and so many long-standing masters athletes are training harder and smarter and just getting faster. A great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Mulberry wrote: »
    The 60 was up first and I managed a silver though not happy with the race. Felt like I struggled all the way and wasn't relaxed. Last week's mystery time at the Leinsters was probably better although I'll never know! It felt better anyway. And I should say that I brought my (known) PB down from 9.03 at the Baseline meet in December to 8.77. Lots more work on the blocks will help bring that down more. I am woeful out of the blocks, I spend 60 meters trying to catch up in every single race.

The 200 was four hours later and every bit of my focus and mental energy had dissipated during that time resulting in a shocking time. Our category was split into two, plenty of drama in the first heat with my clubmate winning on the line with a massive PB. My heat was next and I was up against one brilliant runner, and one unknown. Bit of background, this event is usually won in 29.XX unless a certain super-runner AS turns up. She's doesn't make an appearance very often but she did yesterday and thrashed us all with a 27.83. Not only that but another runner who'd normally do 29 mid-high has obviously been training hard and ran a smashing race to take 2nd in 28.68. I came third in the heat, paranoid about being in Lane 2 (and Lane 6 was free grrr), intimidated by the Speedies alongside me and mentally weary from the long day and the mental exertion of the 60 earlier on. My time was a pitifully slow 29.66, a good bit away from the 28.99 I'd been targeting.

Aside from my own running it was a super day's entertainment, with lots of clubmates and boardsies to add a bit of extra spice to the spectating. And I have to say the standard across the board is rising fast. A lot of senior runners must now moving in this masters event. Some athletes were just miles ahead of the field and so many long-standing masters athletes are training harder and smarter and just getting faster. A great day out.

Lane 2 is horrific. Honestly, I wouldn't give the 200 a second thought. It's a flawed event which is why it's no longer contested at major championships. Take the positives from it and take them into outdoors where the event is actually fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Mulberry wrote: »

Regarding your mystery time at Leinsters, I came across this on the Leinster website.

Message from the Indoor Secretary:

"As some of you are aware there were issues during the weekend with the timing system for the straight track (ie. 60m Sprint & Hurdles). The starting signal (which triggers the timing clocks) was only being received sporadically by the photofinish equipment at the beginning of the session. By the end of the session it wasn't being received at all. The cause is believed to be a fault in the stadium wiring under the track, however it is difficult to determine if this is correct or not until the supplier reviews the equipment. Unfortunately, Athletics Leinster can't take responsibility for this as the photofinish system is the property of the stadium.
    We are sorry for any trouble this may have caused some athletes on Sunday but unfortunately it was out of our control. Any times attached in the results for the 60m Sprint are correct and accurate."

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I did the 800m/1500m combo yesterday. +1 to what every said about the organisation - very slick indeed.

I'll do a proper report later on my log, but for now let's say : 800m good, 1500m bad :rolleyes:. Managed a silver in the 800m in a less than spectacular time but I'm happy with the race. First time racing indoors and all the elbows and boxing in took me a bit by surprise. In retrospect I know I had a few more seconds in me and should have got a bit closer to the first placed runner in my AG. As for the 1500m, well, I knew I would be out of my depth but didn't expect to be lapped by quite so many :o. Learned lots, and lots more to learn. If I do indoors again, I think I would go down a distance, maybe do 400/800. I don't think the heat indoors suits me.

Congrats to Dubgal, Mulberry and DNAleri on their respective PBs and bling. A good day out for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

It sounded fab! Two of my pals came first and third respectively in the O50 3k and seem to have really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Went along to this to support my friends, had a great day by all accounts, much more enjoyable and less stressful when you don't have to race!

I'll be a masters next year so was actually quite scary to see the standard, id of placed about 7th/8th if I was running this year so I better hope for a good year ahead! Kevin Lynch is amazing, id love to get chatting to him about training and anything really, he's incredible (get him in for a Q&A :) ). It's amazing how strong and fit athletes in their 50's/60's looked, great incentive to keep at it.

Advertisement