Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring & Summer track

Options
  • 05-03-2017 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I have loads of the graded races in my diary now, aiming for a sub 5 mile and a 1500 pb.

I've used a lot of the serpentine / Frank Horwill archive to plan based on under/equal/over paces and hit about 60-80k p/w in the past and enjoyed it

Question for those of you experienced middle distance (800 - 1500 - 3000) runners, if you are coming into the spring what would the focus be on for the next few months? Would it be 3 sessions a week? Outright speed, speed endurance etc.?? Any gym work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Very hard to give a definite plan without knowing what your current training is like, and when you wish to peak for the summer. Good advice I was given was not to start serious 1500m/mile pace sessions until April/May (apart from some strides and 200m intervals to keep in touch with speed). Between now and the you could do a 5/10k block and try and get into decent 5k shape by the end of April and then make the switch to more specific middle distance stuff. So, hills, tempos, CV pace reps, 3-10k paced reps.

This is very general advice and without knowing your exact training background history it is hard to be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Basically I'm at c. 18.30 for 5k (1715pb) and 4.58 for 1500 (444pb) so something to work with. All going well 60-80k is my range, 100k is doable if the asthma is at bay, one q is if high mileage is worth bothering with if a 1500 is the target?
    I'd planned blocks of 4 weeks so the 5-10k pace for next two blocks makes sense, after that, I'm wondering about how to stack it to 'peak' at the end of July. I guess a mix of 3-5k, speed endurance initially, speed and s.e. closer to target date?
    Thanks for the reply, has my thinking cap on at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Basically I'm at c. 18.30 for 5k (1715pb) and 4.58 for 1500 (444pb) so something to work with. All going well 60-80k is my range, 100k is doable if the asthma is at bay, one q is if high mileage is worth bothering with if a 1500 is the target?
    I'd planned blocks of 4 weeks so the 5-10k pace for next two blocks makes sense, after that, I'm wondering about how to stack it to 'peak' at the end of July. I guess a mix of 3-5k, speed endurance initially, speed and s.e. closer to target date?
    Thanks for the reply, has my thinking cap on at least!

Mileage limits depend on the individual but you could aim for 80-100k during the 5/10k block (provided you build up slowly) and then cut it back when you get more specific closer to the summer.

Regarding peaking, I thing I have found useful is in the early part of the season when doing 1500m/mile pace work keep the recovery a little longer and focus on the getting comfortable with the pace rather than killing yourself. All sets like 4x(3x400m) off 60 seconds with 2-3 mins between the sets work well when done at race pace. Then as you get closer to your target races you could pencil in a couple of big important session where you really focus on a decent amount of volume at race pace, trying to emulate race conditions. Also, some 400/800m pace work at that stage will get you into peak shape in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Drogheda and District AC Summer Graded Series will take place again this Summer, dates and events as follows:

4th May 7PM - 100/800/3k Long Jump
    18th May 7PM - 200/1mile/5k Shot Put
    1st Jun 7PM - 100/400/1500 Long Jump
    15th Jun 7PM - 200/800/3k Shot Put
    13th Jul 7PM - 100/1500/400 Long Jump

Open to all AAI registered Athletes, cost €5 per evening. Looking forward to another great series for 2017!

Follow us on Snapchat for live race footage and training snaps #DDACSNAP
    Follow us on Instgram for some fancy photos #droghedaanddistrictac
    Follow us on Twitter for live results & News #DroghedaDistAC

BTW our intention is to have the proper timing equipment for all events. I have had the training I just need to make sure the equipment is available :)

Advertisement