Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points to teach history and geography

Options
  • 05-03-2017 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I need to fill out my Subject forms and levels for tomorrow and would like to know how many points are required to study secondary teaching and do I need higher level English?
    and french?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

For secondary teaching, you normally take a degree in the subjects you want to teach, then take a postgraduate teaching qualification ... it's not like primary teaching in that respect, where everything is integrated from the start (though there are a couple of exceptions where you can do an integrated course, e.g. PE with X).

So for History and Geography you're really looking at the points for a BA in whichever college(s) you prefer, and which offer those subjects obviously.

You don't specifically need HL English; you will need a language at some level for the universities to matriculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Brian2863 wrote: »
    Hi, I need to fill out my Subject forms and levels for tomorrow and would like to know how many points are required to study secondary teaching and do I need higher level English?
    and french?

thanks

From a teaching point of view - stay away from History and Geography as a teaching combination. Those subjects are way over subscribed with lots of unemployment for these graduates. If you have a flair for languages, Irish, maths and physics - you will have a better chance at employment.

Advertisement