Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart car insurance

Options
  • 05-03-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

chatting to a friend of mine about smart cars lastnight and he said its almost impossible to get them insured , is he right ?
    i cant see any reason for that to be true , can anyone shed some light on it for me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

Probably has something to do with higher personal injury claims from crashes when they're involved.

Or lower returns on the stock market. Or shareholders wanting year-on-year growth. Or Sean Quinn's failed gamble we're all paying for. Or the westerly prevailing wind Ireland experiences.

I jest OP but at the same time, there would be a bit of truth to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stick this into some online insurance quotes to see if you were getting pub talk or proper information

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/smart-car-passion/14853791

Then we can speculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

reports from this forum in 2010 were that it wasn't cheap to insure a Smart car.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055890133

You can insure a smart car in the german smart club for 200 euro per year and many can source cheaper insurnace than that outside the club.

There is no intrinsic reason why a smart should be expensive to insure.

They are very desirable cars to have in urban locations. In my city there are half sized parking spaces with outlines of a smart car drawn on the ground or on a sign beside the parking spaces.

Advertisement