Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6months into Fifth Year, too late to change subjects?

Options
  • 04-03-2017 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey everyone, I'm in fifth year and it's March. I am doing geography and really do not enjoy it one bit. I got a C in the JC.
    Originally, I picked home ec, bio, chem, and French. However, I switched my subjects to bio, chem, physics, geography for points reasons.
    How stupid was I. I love home ec. I didn't do it for JC but throughout TY it was one of my favorite things.

I am kicking myself so much for switching to geography instead. I've just realized how much the subject contains. It's really over whelming. I really think I could get a better grade in Home Ec than geography. I'm really interested in all aspects of home ec. And I'm pretty good with nutrition and the economic side of it.

Is it too late to change? I'm even willing to catch up over the summer, and I know that's sad! But I'm really limited here as I am already doing one pass subject my points are depending on my 6 HL subjects!
    I'm pretty scientifically minded, so I think I'd be able to absorb and understand the home ec course pretty well! I just hate geography, I dread going to class and the amount we have to learn is too overwhelming! I'm really not interested in it.

What do you guys think? Please help if you can! I'm having a crisis here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I believe the home ec journals have already been completed and submitted? In which case I don't think you'll be able to switch to home ec.

Have you thought about ag science? It overlaps a good bit with biology and would give you another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Haemoglobin

I believe the home ec journals have already been completed and submitted? In which case I don't think you'll be able to switch to home ec.

Have you thought about ag science? It overlaps a good bit with biology and would give you another option.

Yes they've been completed and submitted. Would that limit me a lot?
    Unfortunately, we don't have an Ag Science class in our year...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes they've been completed and submitted. Would that limit me a lot?

It would mean your highest possible score in the exam would be down whatever percentage the journals are worth. I think they are worth 20%(?)
    So, even if you scored absolute full marks on the exam, you could only get 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Haemoglobin

spurious wrote: »
    It would mean your highest possible score in the exam would be down whatever percentage the journals are worth. I think they are worth 20%(?)
    So, even if you scored absolute full marks on the exam, you could only get 80%.

Yes I'm pretty sure they are 20%. I feel a bit stuck now... Would it take too much to do one myself? I don't think they get sent off until September.
    Everyone is telling me there is a lot of stuff in Home Ec. to learn off and such. I don't know what to do, if I stay where I am it'll be a whole year of boring-ness and avoiding studying geography,, while if I move (if I'm allowed) it'll be me spending time catching up on the basics and such.
    Should I just stick through geography or move to home ec?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Luciole

I think doing the journals and catching up on the chapters you missed would be hard to do over the summer. If I was you I'd just keep doing geography.

• Advertisement
Advertisement