Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future camper conversion

Options
  • 04-03-2017 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Howya lads.
    Im plying and insulating my t5 transporter and i wanted to run cables for lights and cooker and whatever i need for water etc.
    I just was wondering what size cables i run for each circuit?
    And is it ok to insulate with the foil insulation + rockwool?

Thanka

Comments

As a rule I don't use smaller than 1.5mm² for campervans because I think it needs that for mechanical resilience.

Use flex cable, solid core domestic cable is completely unsuitable.

Other rules of thumbs I use:
    < 0.3% voltage drop between batteries for split charging.
    < 2% voltage drop PV to solar controller.
    < 0.3% voltage drop Solar controller to battery.
    < 0.3% voltage drop mains charger to battery or supplied cable.

Max load + 20% current capacity for linear loads.
    < 2% voltage drop for switching loads.

1.5mm² for all mains/inverter circuits.
    2.5mm² for ceeform cables.

I used underfloor bubblewrap and rockwool. Eh yeah it's ok, and not squeaky, I'd be tempted go kingspan on the next build.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Kingspan will squeak.

This is an interesting build up to where he started doing electrics...ah carpenters with cable strippers...:rolleyes:

Obsolete (16th Ed.) UK wiring regs for campers (sorry best I can get for you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Kingspan will squeak.
    I have inch kingspan glued with expanding foam to the floor, roof, and sidepanels no squeak.

If you're using rockwool get cavity batts the normal stuff despite added mineral oil and water repellant claims holds water just fine even the batts have been shown to store interstitial condensation.

If OP means the foil bubblewrap stuff the rvalue of that is based on installation with a fixed airgap either side core rvalue is tiny so sandwiched between ply and panels/floor/insulation it adds very little other than vapour barrier if fully taped not worth the money IMO. The multilayer foil stuff is better but also based on airgaps and very expensive so don't believe the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

This is an interesting build up to where he started doing electrics...ah carpenters with cable strippers...:rolleyes:

Hi Liam, I'm thinking of doing my own camper-van conversion and I found that video a few weeks ago. I'm fairly confident I can do most of it myself except for the electrics and a few other bits like gas. I'm researching a lot at the minute and know a few people with straight up campers and also conversions so I'll talk to them before making an commitment. I'll make my own thread when the time comes.

Would you not recommend his electrical setup? What would you do differently if you were running the same setup?

Brozy wrote: »
    I'll make my own thread when the time comes.

We love build threads!
    popcorn1-smiley.gif
    Would you not recommend his electrical setup?

Not now, no.
    It works...poorly, no disputing that.
    It's better than my first attempt was.

What would you do differently if you were running the same setup?

Use flex cable instead of NYMJ
    Use 6volt golf cart traction batteries instead of truck batteries.
    Fuse the inverter input.
    Splash out on a PWM MorningStar TriStar Solar Controller
    with 2 x 150W mono crystalline 12volt panels not 1 x 24V amorphous panel.
    Fit a battery monitor not a Solar Controller monitor.
    Fit a PV isolator and a Solar Controller DC MCB.
    Fit a Master Habitation Battery Isolator
    Fit Overhead Warm White CRI > 90 LEDs on dimmers.

Those big switches he's using are muck. They're not ignition protected or rated for load breaking. One multi contact switch could do the job of two.
    I'd use a contactor instead and fit the switch somewhere accessible.
    3M make the glue for the striplight, not the striplight. I'd fit RGBcW on a dimmer.

His split charge relay is under-rated & under-cabled. His battery interlinks and cross loading are not shown, his battery isn't vented, solar controller is mounted to stifle the heat-sink and under-wired.

All his sensitive electronics are living in the path of the battery gas.

Batteries are too far from the alternator and inaccessible. Fuses switchgear are difficult to access too.

Lighting doesn't work from mains, sockets don't run from mains. Charger is too small to cater for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Thanks for that very detailed reply. I've this page bookmarked now for future reference.

The electrics will certainly be my biggest challenge and I've a lot to learn on that side of things but that is partly why I want to take on this project as you can only learn so much by reading. I have a few friends who are qualified electricians that could give me a dig out if required but from what I'm reading, the electrics of a camper/MH kind of fall into their category.

...from what I'm reading, the electrics of a camper/MH kind of fall into their category.

No offence to your friends but qualified electricians who understand ELV DC charging, changeovers, monitoring, acceptable quiescent & losses in a battery system, what gear to use and what's not fit for purpose are few and far between.
    For me it's either a case for marine electricians or DIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

No offence to your friends but qualified electricians who understand ELV DC charging, changeovers, monitoring, acceptable quiescent & losses in a battery system, what gear to use and what's not fit for purpose are few and far between.

So are electricians that own a copy of the wiring regs - seriously ask them can you borrow it :D

• Advertisement

I have it already. I use it to beat them over the head with. :P

Advertisement