Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shall Add the Application Fee to My Small Claims Complaint?

Options
  • 04-03-2017 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm considering submitting a complaint against a local business who 1. charged me more than the agreed price for unwanted services, and also 2. caused damage to some piece of clothing of mine, but I'd like to clarify two things:

1. The website mentions that the €25 is nonrefundable. However can I include that in my claim against the business? e.g. Let's say I'm claiming €100, which breaks down to €30 and €70, and also add a €25 for the fee I'm applying.

2. Just to get this right, it's mentioned that: "Claims can also be made for minor damage to your property." *property* includes anything that belongs to me such as clothing, in this case, right?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You very specifically are not allowed add it. Property is anything. You will likely need an independent assessment of the cost of the damage if they dispute it; which is again not refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

I'm not starting a new topic since this is all relevant to the same thing, tried editing the subject but it looks like I don't have privileges to do so.

1. There is only one field for the claim and I can choose among property damage, goods, services, etc. My claim consists of both property damage and services. Which one should I choose?

2. The property damage happened at my first visit to the place, the service damage is indicated on the invoice dated for the next day. Which date shall I choose for the incident?

3. Is inequality behaviors something that I should mention in my statement? I've got a lot of hassle from how they've treated me during receiving the service, etc.

4. What does "associate or associate bodies" refer to?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1: Property damage, as it happened first
    2: First date
    3: irrelevant
    4: context?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Didn't realize you shouldn't add it in the claim. We did before, as well as solicitor's fee, as numbered items on the application forms and were awarded the whole amount claimed. The other party never contested or showed up so maybe it was never looked at in detail.

4:

Section II: Respondent: Name: ... Trading as: ... (tooltip says: "Enter the name of the associate or associate body.")

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Didn't realize you shouldn't add it in the claim. We did before, as well as solicitor's fee, as numbered items on the application forms and were awarded the whole amount claimed. The other party never contested or showed up so maybe it was never looked at in detail.

The registrar shouldn't have even let it go through. Not your problem if they do, though.
    Hiddden wrote: »
    4:

Section II: Respondent: Name: ... Trading as: ... (tooltip says: "Enter the name of the associate or associate body.")

They just need the actual legal name. e.g. in my recent case against 3, "3" or "Three" etc wasn't the actual name, it was Three Ireland Retail (Hutchinson) Limited. cro.ie to find the legal name if its a business. Registrar should help you correct this if its incorrect anyway

Would you actually get a solicitor for the small claim complaints? And for the property, should it be the discounted fee that I have paid or the actual price of the item since I can't buy the same thing at discount anymore? (360 vs. 100eu)

Would you actually get a solicitor for the small claim complaints? And for the property, should it be the discounted fee that I have paid or the actual price of the item since I can't buy the same thing at discount anymore? (360 vs. 100eu)

Actual price. You don't have receipts for the replacement price and there is no responsibility for it - refund is an option for retailers.

L1011 wrote: »
    They just need the actual legal name. e.g. in my recent case against 3, "3" or "Three" etc wasn't the actual name, it was Three Ireland Retail (Hutchinson) Limited. cro.ie to find the legal name if its a business. Registrar should help you correct this if its incorrect anyway

I have their legal name from CRO already which has gone into the "Name" field. So I assume "Trading as" field is the one they're known as? (in your case "Three"?)

Or am I supposed to give the person's name who was dealing with me? (company director)

I have their legal name from CRO already which has gone into the "Name" field. So I assume "Trading as" field is the one they're known as? (in your case "Three"?)

I wouldn't even fill it in unless it majorly different (Mickey Mouse Ltd trading as Donald Duck kind of stuff)

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even fill it in unless it majorly different (Mickey Mouse Ltd trading as Donald Duck kind of stuff)

It's a compulsory field, that's why I'm asking, otherwise I'd leave it empty.

Been some months since I had to fill one out - put the trading name in in that case.

Would you actually get a solicitor for the small claim complaints?
    It was for a few letters beforehand.

It was for a few letters beforehand.

So you had a receipt? Did they check the receipts? I was prepared to upload them but I don't see a field for that. The price tag shows the original price but my receipt only has the discount price. Not sure which one to put in.

And is there any guideline on how to write the statement in a legal/formal way? I've been googling but only getting American State specific samples which wouldn't necessarily apply to the Irish ones.

No receipts whatsoever but it seems we might have had an atypical experience.

No receipts whatsoever but it seems we might have had an atypical experience.

I'm full of curiosity about your case now. :D but any idea which one I should put in? I will try and speak to the registrar about this on Monday, but I'm trying to make as much progress as I can with documenting stuff before then.

And is there any guideline on how to write the statement in a legal/formal way? I've been googling but only getting American State specific samples which wouldn't necessarily apply to the Irish ones.

There's no need to. Its a civilian process.

Advertisement