Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best car insurance for car stereo?

Options
  • 03-03-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

My insurance policy is up for renewal next month and im looking to get new stereo for my car.

Im just wondering which insurer would be best to insure it ?

Does fully comp typically always include a car stereo as standard? Will be the case that ill pay so much more fully comp that id pay more that price of the stereo?

Car stereo im looking at is just over €300. The car I have at the moment is just a VW golf MK5 version with the standard VW cd player and radio. Never had my car broken into before but im a little weary that if i get a flashy new stereo thats what will happen.

Im 10 years drive, no claims and 30 years old this month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi

My insurance policy is up for renewal next month and im looking to get new stereo for my car.

Im just wondering which insurer would be best to insure it ?

Does fully comp typically always include a car stereo as standard? Will be the case that ill pay so much more fully comp that id pay more that price of the stereo?

Car stereo im looking at is just over €300. The car I have at the moment is just a VW golf MK5 version with the standard VW cd player and radio. Never had my car broken into before but im a little weary that if i get a flashy new stereo thats what will happen.

Im 10 years drive, no claims and 30 years old this month.

Do you live in 1980s Detroit?

I'm not being smart but in over 8 years working in insurance and seeing thousands of claims, I have never ever seen a claim for a stolen car stereo.

Ask your insurer. I would imagine it wouldn't be covered by most anyway as companies generally have a restriction that personal property in the vehicle is only covered for theft if its stolen from a locked boot or glove box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/cheap-car-insurance/

"Our insurance covers stereo and radio equipment up to €635 or 5% of the value of the vehicle, whichever is lower. Terms and conditions apply."

That is just one i found from google but given the amount of different insurers i figured i would ask here and see if anyone knows of others.

My car is 06 VW golf with a good bit of mileage at this point. Its guessing its probably would be valued between €2000 and €3000.

So 5% of the value probably would not be much good to me. Just wondering if there are other insurers offering better cover for car stereos?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep in mind the excess and how likely would you be to claim for a €300 stereo and lose your no-claims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Keep in mind the excess and how likely would you be to claim for a €300 stereo and lose your no-claims?

Fire & theft claims generally don't have an excess though he should read the fine print.

Advertisement