Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for learner 2017

Options
  • 03-03-2017 4:11pm

Hi All

I am living in Dublin and have a learners permit. My goal was to start taking as many driving lessons as necessary and get a small 1.2 litre, 8 or 9 year old car, get insured and start practicing with a fully licensed driver in between my lessons.

I am 30 years old male which i thought might help me a bit.

I called lots of companies for a quote and either got laughed off the phone or quoted between 4000 - 7000! (Third party fire and theft). The only advise I got was to become a named driver for a year and that might help a bit.

It seems the only option I have is to be a named driver on my Dad's car, which is a car I have very limited access to. I signed up for that a few days ago.

Now I am wondering whether there is point in doing the lessons now. Will I be able to pass the test without getting in as much practice as I would like? Has anybody being able to get insured on a learners permit?
    Should I just stay on my Dad's policy as a named driver for a year and maybe get the lessons a few months from now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can find others in a similar position with a forum search
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1765&query=learner

Possibly boxymo could be an option

biko wrote: »
    You can find others in a similar position with a forum search
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1765&query=learner

Possibly boxymo could be an option

Thanks. Yes, I just read back through a bunch of old threads.
    Disgraceful reading but it seems everybody is in the same boat.

I'll give boxymo a shot, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 learner2017

Hi All

I am living in Dublin and have a learners permit. My goal was to start taking as many driving lessons as necessary and get a small 1.2 litre, 8 or 9 year old car, get insured and start practicing with a fully licensed driver in between my lessons.

I am 30 years old male which i thought might help me a bit.

I called lots of companies for a quote and either got laughed off the phone or quoted between 4000 - 7000! (Third party fire and theft). The only advise I got was to become a named driver for a year and that might help a bit.

It seems the only option I have is to be a named driver on my Dad's car, which is a car I have very limited access to. I signed up for that a few days ago.

Now I am wondering whether there is point in doing the lessons now. Will I be able to pass the test without getting in as much practice as I would like? Has anybody being able to get insured on a learners permit?
    Should I just stay on my Dad's policy as a named driver for a year and maybe get the lessons a few months from now?

Im 24 just got my permit a month ago. Got fully comp on a 1.2 seat ibiza for 2180 with axa

Advertisement