Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully comp on a cheap old car?

Options
  • 03-03-2017 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

Is there any point having fully comp on a cheap runaround (1k value)

Or is better to have 3rd party

You wouldn't claim for your own anyway would you if it got damaged?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

TPFT only.
    Fully comp will cost you more than the car is worth. (Take into account premium, excess, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My last few times looking for insurance TPFT or TPO was more expensive than fully comp, not that I've cheap cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Del2005 wrote: »
    My last few times looking for insurance TPFT or TPO was more expensive than fully comp, not that I've cheap cars.

What was the value?

The OP's is only 1k..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Steve wrote: »
    What was the value?

The OP's is only 1k..

You should never get a quote for a 1k car;) I usually bottom out at about 4k for quotes, as I found going lower increased the premium.

04 Punto for my mother was coming in more expensive for TPO/TPFT v's fully comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Steve wrote: »
    TPFT only.
    Fully comp will cost you more than the car is worth. (Take into account premium, excess, etc.)

For me there was no difference. Comp was cheaper slightly.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    For me there was no difference. Comp was cheaper slightly.

Again, what declared value?

I'm interested... maybe for low value cars there is an exception. :)

1K, I think I raised the excess to 350 or such. Had the same policy for a good few years.

So , say you paid for 3 years, it's more than you paid for the car...

Sorry, insurance just gets my heckles up.. :D

The only way to avoid that is not have a car.

Advertisement