Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a fair repair price

Options
  • 03-03-2017 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, after my kid tripped on my headphones wire which was plugged into my laptop, the top of the headphone jack broke off and jammed itself inside the headphone port.

I brought it to a repair shop, was told it would cost 50euro if the headphone port in the laptop needed to be replaced, but that that shouldn't be necessary.. One hour later, I received text that it was removed without having to replace/repair the headphone port.

Was told it would cost 50 euro.

I responded that the quoted cost was 50 euro only in the case that a replacement was needed. Received a response that I should have negotiated that earlier?...

Is 50 euro a fair price to remove a broken headphone jack stuck in a headphone port?
    and what of being charged a price which was not agreed on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think it's fair. Whether or not he replaced the socket he still spent at least an hour taking the machine apart to get to the socket and the reassembling the machine. He's running a business after all.

Point is that your machine is fixed which was the desired outcome.

Ken

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

For an hours work- taking apart and reassembling the laptop- seems fair enough to me. Normally labour is itemized separately to parts- 50 quid for an hour may be a tad high- but its not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I am reading this wrong, who said he had to take anything apart ?

Also the OP clearly said the price was for replacing the port.. this didn't happen.

also not sure why people are saying the work took an hour ? where are you getting that from ? the call came an hour later..

My advice is talk with them, ask what was involved, if they simply managed to "poke" the old broken connector our with a small tool or pin, then ask for the price to be calculated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What I suspect Conductors getting at (and rightly, he has a background in this) is that if a jack shears off inside the 3.5mm port then pulling it out is pretty difficult. If the OP couldnt do it with a tweezers then the solution is to open the body and use a needle to reverse it out from the side/end of the port.

s-l225.jpg

€50 is a little steep, but sometimes small jobs need to be a little expensive to account for liaising with a customer, case tracking etc.

Advertisement