Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring doorbell pro with Virgin Media

Options
  • 02-03-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I bought the Ring doorbell pro. I was able to install it fine. Power reaching the device is good and RSSI signal is good -35 to -40. However the video does not work. It can work 5% of the time but the video quality is terrible. Live view never really works.. I get the doorbell notifications and the chime works. I bought an Wifi extender and it is installed just behind the front door.

I have my internet with Virgin media. Anyone else using Ring with virgin media. Any configuration changes needed on the router? I enabled the ports I have found in other posts but no change. I have a level2 call booked but it is not until the end of next week.

Cheers,

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

silverf0x wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought the Ring doorbell pro. I was able to install it fine. Power reaching the device is good and RSSI signal is good -35 to -40. However the video does not work. It can work 5% of the time but the video quality is terrible. Live view never really works.. I get the doorbell notifications and the chime works. I bought an Wifi extender and it is installed just behind the front door.

I have my internet with Virgin media. Anyone else using Ring with virgin media. Any configuration changes needed on the router? I enabled the ports I have found in other posts but no change. I have a level2 call booked but it is not until the end of next week.

Cheers,

A

Get onto Ring , They sent me a Chime Pro which extends the wifi signal , Fixed my drop off problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I'm on virgin media with no issues. Are you using 2.4ghx or 5ghz wifi?
    I did have to get an extender to get it to stay on my 5ghz network & it's been rock solid ever since.

I do have an issue where when i'm on meteor 4g i cant connect to live view. My workaround is to force my phone to only use 3g which is a bit ****e but solves the issue.
    Other phone networks on 4g can connect no problem so it's a meteor issue and I don't have the will to ring them and try explain this issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 silverf0x

Hi Beanian,

Thanks for the response.

I have tried both 2.4 and 5 and get the same issue.

The RSSI was -50 before the I put the extender in but it is -35 now which Ring said is excellent.

Did you have to allow/open any ports on your Virgin media router/modem?

I get 240Mb speed on the broadband but Virgin say they see errors on the line so they are sending an engineering in the morning.
    I then have a Level2 call with Ring in the afternoon.

Hopefully I will resolve tomorrow. Live view is working a bit today but if anybody walks or drives past a smear of pixels goes across the screen until the screen refreshes.

Cheers,

A

Hi Beanian,

Thanks for the response.

I have tried both 2.4 and 5 and get the same issue.

The RSSI was -50 before the I put the extender in but it is -35 now which Ring said is excellent.

Did you have to allow/open any ports on your Virgin media router/modem?

I get 240Mb speed on the broadband but Virgin say they see errors on the line so they are sending an engineering in the morning.
    I then have a Level2 call with Ring in the afternoon.

Hopefully I will resolve tomorrow. Live view is working a bit today but if anybody walks or drives past a smear of pixels goes across the screen until the screen refreshes.

Cheers,

A

No, but make sure port 80 & port 443 arent being forwarded to a specific address. I had issues with external access otherwise.
    Seems very strange. Do recorded events in the cloud have these video artifacts also or just live view?

Recordings are either blank (70% of the time) or the I can view the video but it is the same of the poor quality issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 D'Artagnan

Any update on this? Having same issue. Have a Virgin Media hub and live video almost never working. Motion detection also slow and usually records a black screen.

Voltage is rated as very good and wifi signal is good at RSSI of 44 despite a wifi extended sitting about 5 feet from the doorbell.

Would be interested to know if you were able to resolve this issue. I'll need to get on to Ring next as I don't know what else I can do on my end.

It is a pain in the ass. I was excited about the doorbell and it has turned out to be a very frustrating and expensive purchase. My wife reminds me that I could have bought a cheap doorbell that would have actually worked!

I should have mentioned although I'm on Virgin Media I'm using my own router (ASUS RT-N66U) and the Virgin Media router is operating in bridge mode.

Hi D'Artagnan,

Update:

I had the Virgin media fix the cabling at my house to remove the noise on the line for the internet Friday morning.

No change on the doorbell.

On Friday afternoon I had my Level2 call with Ring. I added the tech lad as a shared users so he could see the videos. He remoted on to my laptop and he saw no issues with the Virgin Media router. With some video working it could not be a firewall issue. He arranged for a new Ring doorbell to be shipped out. He mentioned the Virgin Media router uses IPv6 which the Ring might not like and would get another tech guy have a look.

That was it I was waiting on the new kit but I tested it yesterday and it is working near perfectly and again today it is working well. I have not got an email from Ring saying they did anything. I dont want to tell them it is working well yet in case it is a glitch and will go back to working it old ways shortly.

I will update when I have anything further to add.

D'Artagnan I would raise a ticket with Ring and get the process going

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

He mentioned the Virgin Media router uses IPv6 which the Ring might not like and would get another tech guy have a look.

You can request Virgin to move you over to IPv4, just drop them a request on the Virgin Talk To forum here on boards. Should take only 24 hours and there is no downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublintoffee

Just installed ring video doorbell 2,big disappointment huge lag from pressing bell to getting phone notification,live view not working,device health says connection is poor so I got a chime pro still the same problem.i must be doing something wrong,I also bought a WiFi extender but the bell will only connect through the chime and not the extender. Can’t find a phone number to call them on,can anyone give me a number please.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

I got a ring flood light before Christmas, and had similar issues, from reading loads of forums etc the fix I found was to change the WiFi channel to 6.
    Most routers are configured to auto and I the ring dies not work with one of the range available. By setting it to 6 it is a channel that is known to work and I've been pretty glitch free since

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I had the exact same issues as yours and the post from last year, interfering WiFi was my issue and moving the access point onto a clear channel fixed everything.

Edit: sorry it's not the Pro I was using. Worth a try though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just installed ring video doorbell 2,big disappointment huge lag from pressing bell to getting phone notification,live view not working,device health says connection is poor so I got a chime pro still the same problem.i must be doing something wrong,I also bought a WiFi extender but the bell will only connect through the chime and not the extender. Can’t find a phone number to call them on,can anyone give me a number please.?

UK number is 00441727263045

I would leave out the second extender you bought. Get the Chime Pro connected first to a 2.4ghz network and check the health status. Once you get that sorted the doorbell should work fine after that when connected to it.

g1983d wrote: »
    I got a ring flood light before Christmas, and had similar issues, from reading loads of forums etc the fix I found was to change the WiFi channel to 6.
    Most routers are configured to auto and I the ring dies not work with one of the range available. By setting it to 6 it is a channel that is known to work and I've been pretty glitch free since

Did you leave it on channel 6 or change it back to auto? Will my other devices work ok on channel 6?

Davy wrote: »
    UK number is 00441727263045

I would leave out the second extender you bought. Get the Chime Pro connected first to a 2.4ghz network and check the health status. Once you get that sorted the doorbell should work fine after that when connected to it.
    Thanks for the number I’ll call them today

Did you leave it on channel 6 or change it back to auto? Will my other devices work ok on channel 6?

Left it on channel 6 as nothing else interferes with it and it's working fine, it is in a location where there's not much else though so you may need to try different channels. AFAIK channel 12 is the issue, all others should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I've just put in a Ring spotlight camera and I have Virgin internet - I'm using the Virgin router (one of the newer ones), and having taken several attempts to get connected, it suddenly worked. The whole thing is working a treat - I get notifications of motion instantly......seems like I have been lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Are those having problems also using virgins router or do you use a third party one.
    I had significant problems with my Asus router (known issue) but I've overcome them generally, though not always fully consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Left it on channel 6 as nothing else interferes with it and it's working fine, it is in a location where there's not much else though so you may need to try different channels. AFAIK channel 12 is the issue, all others should be ok

FYI

If it is an american product you might have issues with channels 12, 13 , 14.
    They only are allowed to do 1-11
    In Europe we can do 1-13.

Switching to channel 6 might work for some people but that is totally location based for your house.
    If you have an android phone run wifi analyser app so see what channels are free.
    Apple IOS dont really have an app for it.
    PC you can have a google on that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

vienne86 wrote: »
    I've just put in a Ring spotlight camera and I have Virgin internet - I'm using the Virgin router (one of the newer ones), and having taken several attempts to get connected, it suddenly worked. The whole thing is working a treat - I get notifications of motion instantly......seems like I have been lucky!

Can I ask, how are you both finding the floodlight? Seems like a very interesting idea. Living in an apartment I've no need for one. But might be perfect for family.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Can I ask, how are you both finding the floodlight? Seems like a very interesting idea. Living in an apartment I've no need for one. But might be perfect for family.

Im happy with mine and would buy more, it was my 1st ring product and would recommend them.

Only negatives I would say are, the supplied mounting bracket is plastic and delicate, would be easy to break by over tightening. For some reason it completely stopped working one day, I didn't have time to look at it and it didn't start working until I disconnected it from the power and did the setup as if it was new again.
    Happy with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

bk wrote: »

I have it running about a week now, and am delighted with it. The phone has trouble conncecting if it is on wifi, but as I generally have the wifi off, and use the mobile nextwork, I haven't looked into this. Mine is the spotlight camera - very neat, and yet the light is good - perfectly adequate for my car port. I have no delay between motion and receiving the phone alert.

Advertisement