Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No tax / no nct [buying car without]

Options
  • 02-03-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm looking to buy a car without tax or nct on it, and i plan to tax it after buying, can i bring the car to nct center and get it nct'd or i have to have insurance and tax it before i can do that,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you certainly need insurance before driving it at all and strictly speaking you should trailer it to the NCT, however most people would happily drive it to the NCT with no tax, although you can tax it online as soon as it is in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sergiot

I'm with provisional licence could i insure it for 1 month and then i would bring it there.. ? or can't do it. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

From page 6 on this document.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf
    The owner and the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division
    must be notified where there are any discrepancies between the
    vehicle documentation or N.C.T.S. vehicle file and the vehicle in
    the Make, Model, Body type, EU Vehicle Category, VRT Vehicle
    Category, Motor Taxation Class or number of seats.

So, my take on that is you'd have to wait for the log book to come back in your name and have it taxed before putting it through the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

me_irl wrote: »
    From page 6 on this document.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf

So, my take on that is you'd have to wait for the log book to come back in your name and have it taxed before putting it through the NCT.

Motor tax is not required for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,544 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sergiot wrote: »
    I'm with provisional licence could i insure it for 1 month and then i would bring it there.. ? or can't do it. thanks

There's a number of insurers will not cover a car with no NCT, they will either ask you when getting the car insured or run a check before providing cover.

Have you any idea if it will pass the NCT easy or not?

• Advertisement

car seems okay, needs right indicator bulb, or the whole headlight, and i can get oil done timing belt was done 14,000 miles ago. thank you all for helping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If it has no nct there is a reason. If you buy and there are problems it might cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,544 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the current owner had the car declared off the road they could drive the car untaxed to the NCT centre to do the test, however I would assume that a current NCT needs to be in place to drive on the public road...
    Q15. What if I'm due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?

A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases:

to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.

The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.

If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/motor-tax/vehicle-road/qa

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Leaving aside the absence of a full licence, most insurance companies, if not all, will not insure you for a month.

If you're caught on the road in an untaxed, uninsured car and with no nct, whilst on a learners permit, they will probably throw the book at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It may not be what you want to hear, but do you really need the extra stress of buying a car untaxed and untested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Timing belt & oil aren't nct items..

Look, it looks like you might be "getting a good deal" on a car, but tbh, unless you know cars, how the law works around them, and how to fix them, it's not going to finish up cheap.

I recommend looking for something already tested, maybe with a little tax, work towards getting your full licence, spend some time lurking here in the motors forum and read up on car maintenance & repair etc - then go for the fixer-uppers.

Till then, check out the bangernomics thread in here, find something you like, check out insurance quotes and take it from there.

Obviously this is only my opinion but it might save you some hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Regarding tax you could take a photo of the front of the logbook before the current owner sends it away. On the top right corner there is a letter(C) and about 9 numbers. You should be able top login online to the tax website using the last 6 of those numbers as the pin.

And tax it right way as soon as you've insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,399 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nd wrote: »
    Regarding tax you could take a photo of the front of the logbook before the current owner sends it away. On the top right corner there is a letter(C) and about 9 numbers. You should be able top login online to the tax website using the last 6 of those numbers as the pin.

And tax it right way as soon as you've insurance.
    The serial number is linked to the previous ownership. If there's arrears these will be payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Yeah that is a snag..

i was insured on a bmw 2002 2l for 1 month for 150euro before thats why i asked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i was insured on a bmw 2002 2l for 1 month for 150euro before thats why i asked.
    In Ireland?
    Did you take out a policy and then cancel it?

Advertisement