Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog fluid in abdomen-heart problems

Options
  • 02-03-2017 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I have a 16 year old Jack Russell rescue. She has a very loud heart murmur and irregular heart beat.Her abdomen is very swollen. The vet put her on Cardisure twice daily 3 weeks ago and has now added Benazecare in the morning as well -as there has been no improvement in her ascites. He said to contact him if she starts coughing and then he would put her on a diuretic. I just wonder why she is not on a diuretic as well or is the Cardisure and Benazecare sufficient to reduce the swollen abdomen (fluid surrounding the heart). She was removed by the guards from a cruel life and put into the Pound 6 years ago. She was in a wretched condition at the time so I took her home immediately in case she would be put down and she has been having a well deserved wonderful life since. I love her so much. I just wonder if anybody else is having their dog treated for these problems. Thank you so much for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

cant respond viz the medications, but just wanted to say, that its so hard to have a dog with medical and medication issues. You should phone your vet, or pop in on your own (without dog), to ask him/her questions about medication and your options and the prognosis etc. so that you feel confortable with the situation and know where you're at. If you dont feel confident in your vet, it would be no harm to get a second opinion, or even just to talk to another vet in the same practice. Bring a pen/paper with you so that you can jot down notes when you are talking to the vet, so you will remember afterwards. Ask the questions about the diuretic, about prognosis etc and the Cardisure and Benazecare combo. What is she rated for her murmur?
    16 is a great age, especially for a dog who has had a bad start. She is obviously very lucky to have found you. I hope you get her sorted with her new meds, and you enjoy each other for a long time to come. Best wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

aonb thank you so much for your lovely message. The vet I go to is actually the head vet and the practice is considered one of the best practices around. The heart murmur is so loud that one does not even need a stethoscope - I can hear it by putting my ear to her heart - so it must be a very high grade. The vet told me that he would put her on diuretics if she starting coughing - but that he would put her on a second med i.e. Benazecare along with Cardisure. I felt and would feel uncomfortable questioning his reasoning. I was just wondering how she will get rid of the fluid around the heart or may be these meds will help to do this. There may be somebody out there with a similar problem. I really do appreciate your reply and I found it most comforting. Bless you and thank you.

Advertisement