Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Note 4 has crashed - can I recover anything?

Options
  • 02-03-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

My 14-month-old Note 4 suddenly crashed last week and now goes into a reboot loop until I remove the battery. A couple of times it has started normally but has been very slow and then suddenly crashed again. For the past couple of days, it won't start at all, just goes into bootloop.

I tried recovery mode and wiping the cache partition but no use. Occasionally the Android will appear and say it is installing an update but then it just offers recovery mode menu. It did say something about eMMC failure once and sometimes red text appears which looks like a type of log, saying "E: can't mount X" and "E: can't open Y".

Most of my important stuff is backed up in Drive/Dropbox but there are some things like SMS, list of podcasts, etc. that I would like to salvage if possible. Is there anything I can do or any shop that could help? I don't want to bring it back to Vodafone for repair until I've exhausted my options as they will certainly wipe it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Thanks, I just tried that now and it says Recovery Boot, then the Android says installing update, then it goes to recovery menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LightlyGo

If it's only 14 months old it will still be under warranty. Samsung have a 2 year manufacturers warranty.

LightlyGo wrote: »
    If it's only 14 months old it will still be under warranty. Samsung have a 2 year manufacturers warranty.

You're right, but I want to get my data before I send it back for repair as they will wipe everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

What data is on the phone? Google backup an awful lot.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    What data is on the phone? Google backup an awful lot.

I have a long list of podcast subscriptions plus many saved podcasts in Podcast Addict that I use for work. Also some voice recordings, SMS and Whatsapp messages which hadn't been backed up for a day. Bad timing.

I'd say if it would boot up for 3 mins I would have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LightlyGo

Arbie wrote: »
    I have a long list of podcast subscriptions plus many saved podcasts in Podcast Addict that I use for work. Also some voice recordings, SMS and Whatsapp messages which hadn't been backed up for a day. Bad timing.

I'd say if it would boot up for 3 mins I would have everything.

Any chance your podcast subs are backed up in an account rather than directly on the phone?
    Sure your voice messages are not saved to SD card ?
    Have you tried this : https://www.android-recovery.net/retrieve-data-from-broken-samsung.html ?

LightlyGo wrote: »
    Any chance your podcast subs are backed up in an account rather than directly on the phone?
    Sure your voice messages are not saved to SD card ?
    Have you tried this : https://www.android-recovery.net/retrieve-data-from-broken-samsung.html ?

Thanks, most of the stuff was on the SD card!

I brought it back to Vodafone and they replaced the motherboard. Had it back within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Very same as mine but mine is with Eir mobile

Advertisement