Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery light coming on then car cuts out...

Options
  • 02-03-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I recently purchased a 08 BMW 320D. Strangely when I put the key in and turn on the electrics (not the ignition), my battery warning light comes on after roughly 10 seconds and then after another 10 seconds the battery cuts out and switches off.

Any idea what is causing this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,367 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can you be clearer on what's going on, battery warning light would normally come on when you turn on the electrics, as would all warning lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 confused2012

Hey

As in after all the lights go off with the key still in the ignition, radio on etc., the Battery warning light comes on after around 10 seconds and the car starts emmiting its beeping warning sound (same beep which would come on if diesel was low)
    Then it cuts out after another maybe 10 - 15 seconds.

Is there such thing a 'weak' battery or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,367 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes battery may be on the way out, could also be that your alternator is not charging the battery or that the alternator belt is too loose, on a new car it can be hard to know when the battery was last replaced or the health of it.
    Have a look at the battery, should be inside the boot of the car on the rear side of it to see if there's any dates of manufactur on it, as a rule of thumb when the battery is 5 years old it's time to replace it, some will recommend replacing at 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I take it that the car starts ok and drives ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 confused2012

Cheers for the advice. Any idea how much a battery costs? I'm assuming it varies on the car.

And yes it starts and drives without any hassle.. Just frustrating to think it could decide to die at any time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

If the car is starting and running without hassle, it is unlikely to be the battery. Get the charging checked as it may be an alternator issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

You'd get one in halfords for about €120. As it's a diesel it needs a beefier one than a petrol car. I wouldn't worry too much about the car dying as you drive it, as long as your alternator is working you should be fine. It's starting on a cold morning when the weak battery will let you down

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

johnayo wrote: »
    If the car is starting and running without hassle, it is unlikely to be the battery. Get the charging checked as it may be an alternator issue.

I think this is standard BMW battery low behaviour. It's letting you know battery is starting to get tired. My BMW car has been doing this for a couple of years, I will change when battery fails to start the car.

How long does your battery have left? No one really knows. But of course what you can't do is say "it let me down out of the blue".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Your local motor factor will load test the battery FOC.

Advertisement