Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balls! Pochettino on Barca shortlist for their next manager

Options
  • 02-03-2017 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Barca have their eye on our manager he has strong ties with the club and the city and aparantly still has a home there. Do you think we could lose him or do you think he will stay with us? I hope to God he stays
    https://twitter.com/guillembalague/status/837098822694223872

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

His poor, and then poor again showing in Europe this season may worry Barcelona.

But he does pretty much fit the profile. Young, ambitious, up and coming, speaks the lingo.

Sure, if he goes, Sherwood would be happy to jump back in. So, every cloud...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Way too early for him imo, needs to win something with us 1st.

They need an experienced manager that won't have to go thru the team selection with Messi.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This was the first thing i thought when i saw Enrique was stepping down. I'd be surprised though, as he's not really won anything yet. I've no doubt he will (and would with Barca), but i think it'll be a few years before he takes a job like that.

It would suck for Spurs if he left, as he's doing a fantastic job here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

He's an Espanyol man ... he'll never go to Barca .......................... i hope :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Ken Early did an excellent article a while ago about how the top clubs only trust a very small supposedly elite group of mangers with their club when the LVG saga was at it's laughable peak. Basically you have to have a CL trophy on your CV to be even considered.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-manchester-united-will-need-leap-of-faith-for-giggs-1.2477903

You could argue that Barca are the exception in that they appointed Pep, Villanova and Enrique. But they all had Barca backgrounds in common while Poch was with lowly Espanyol. It wouldn't be a huge leap in faith given how well Poch has done with relatively under-resourced teams but the Barca Job Description is different and I am hopeful that the Barca HR dept show the same dearth of imagination that all us lowly plebs have to put up with. In Barca's terms, as outlined in Early's article, Poch would be a risk. Imagine if an increasingly disinterested Leo Messi wasn't impressed with the appointment?

On top of that didn't Poch sign a contract extension recently? Even if they wanted him, I would imagine Barca will baulk when they sit around a table with Levy and hear his terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

A side effect of having a good manager is having these stories crop up. Same way as a Kane to United story will pop up every season he's here.

I doubt Barca have Poch top of their list, but stranger things have happened. Certainly wouldn't blame him for taking it if offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭golfball37

I thought we were Real Madrid's feeder club? Surely we'd be in breach....

Advertisement