Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre questions

Options
  • 01-03-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a few questions about the eir Fibre installation that maybe people here already have the answers too.

If I get fiber extreme to the home
    1. Does the copper wire still handle phone calls ?
    2. Does voice swicth to VoIP from the modem ?
    3. If power goes or link is down does that mean phone gone too ?
    4. Does the copper wire stay so that I can revert if needed ?

My current setup is phone downstairs in hall and DSL modem upstairs in home office from an internal phone extension.
    5. Does Fibre optic modem have to be placed in hall or will Eir run fibre to the home office location ?
    6. They advertise some TV in bunble. How do you get to display those on a TV? Is there a STB included?

Thanks in advance....I tied eir chat but not up to much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. It could do, but they tend to/maybe only sell the VOIP option
    2. See 1
    3. Yes
    4. Yes, but it may drop from "inactive" to completely disconnected after 1yr meaning its a slower process to restore down the road.

5. It totally depends on the house/pole location and if they can use a duct in the drive, have to erect a new pole, go to a certain gable etc.
    6. Yes, they have a TV product, you get an STB and 0-2MR boxes. Its pretty ****, I wouldnt subscribe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

Thanks. There is a 1/2 in pipe that the copper wire is in coming into the hallway so I expect that they can pull the fiber in there. Just wondering if they would run that to the "office" upstairs or if the modem need to sit downstairs in hall ?

They wont go too far.

If the duct is a) clear and b) has no sharp turns they can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Installation Guiding Principles
    Fibre to the Home (FTTH)

- The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) will be the Network demarcation point
    - eircom will always be responsible for the installation of the ONT
    - eircom technician will install the ONT as per the workmanship standard specification
    - The location of the ONT may be influenced by the cable entry point and power availability. Power shall be supplied by the end-user
    - A pre-terminated fibre patch cord usually of 1m length is used to connect the Optical Distribution Point (ODP) to the ONT
    - FTTH data port extension may be installed beyond the ONT (eircom will, if requested at the time of Order, install a data port extension socket using a standard extension kit to a maximum of 30 meters)
    - The eircom technician will test the line on completion of the installation

Source: NGA IPM

attachment.jpg
    Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97842227#post97842227

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

This info is great. I think I understand it but please correct me if I'm wrong below.

So the output of the "ONT" can be up to 30M data extension ( assuming Ethernet over cat6? ) that feeds an WAN port on a router. That router (F2000??) then distributes wifi, multiple LAN ports and has an RJ45 to plug in an old fashioned phone for VoIP ?

Do you think eir would install the ONT+ODP upstairs in my home office, directly above the entry point in hallway, as there is easier access to power there.

• Advertisement

You understand correctly. Order the DPE when you order the service otherwise the techs may not come prepared for it.

You have to talk to the techs that come. We cant tell you how facilitating they'll be but power will be required before they can sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ctwomey

ED E wrote: »
    They wont go too far.

I did a bit of work over the last couple of weekends to sort out our ducting in anticipation of the new FTTH fibre.

Setup string from the pole via the ducting to the back of the house. (including extending the ducting underground).
    Setup string up through the wall ducting into the roof space
    Setup string to pull the fibre down into the utility room where the phone line terminates.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

20rothmans wrote: »
    This info is great. I think I understand it but please correct me if I'm wrong below.

So the output of the "ONT" can be up to 30M data extension ( assuming Ethernet over cat6? ) that feeds an WAN port on a router. That router (F2000??) then distributes wifi, multiple LAN ports and has an RJ45 to plug in an old fashioned phone for VoIP ?

Do you think eir would install the ONT+ODP upstairs in my home office, directly above the entry point in hallway, as there is easier access to power there.

With the copper network, the installer will put a data port extension up to your office but will reflect this in the price of your installation. Presumably this is the same with the FTTH but I cant say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

HoggyRS wrote: »
    With the copper network, the installer will put a data port extension up to your office but will reflect this in the price of your installation. Presumably this is the same with the FTTH but I cant say for sure.

€55 for data port extn. if included in the initial order or €85 if ordered on-site (wholesale pricing).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Generally 10m or may run around outside of house. But at the end of the day the technician may decide against a preferred location and offer alternatives. Ie location looks like it has piping or electrical cables running through.
    The tech may just put it next to the existing phone socket but usually will try to keep it where there is a wall socket to power.
    Internal wiring is 2 pair cat5 cable as only 4 out of the 8 wires transmit data. Pins 1236 transmit data which in conventional 4 pair cat5 cable is
    white/orange
    orange
    white/green
    green

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

ED E wrote: »
    They wont go too far.

Is ducting going to allow faster speeds? What sort of private tradesmen can clear a duct?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

robp wrote: »
    Is ducting going to allow faster speeds? What sort of private tradesmen can clear a duct?

You should probably put this in the main Eir FTTH thread but since you asked;

Nope, no faster speeds. It's the same connection. In my opinion and generally accepted throughout the telecoms industry ducting is better for an install however, so if you have it use it.

Handymen are a good bet. Failing that i'd be looking at Builders and Landscaping / Environmental companies. I do it myself in Donegal but it is a hard job.

If you can't find anyone it isn't a massive job to do yourself. Plenty of help here on the forums and there are bountiful tools available at most hire shops to help.

Advertisement