Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car-Free Sundays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Consonata wrote: »
    Brussels: https://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm?id=4843&agendaid=750
    Singapore: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/mass-events-to-kick-off-first-car-free-sunday-in-heart-of-city
    Vancouver: http://www.carfreevancouver.org/

These seem like great events to make people more open to not using their cars in the cities and using Public transport/cycling. Why doesn't Dublin do something like this, like closing off private transport inside the north and south circular roads for a Sunday.

I've a vested interest as Sunday is the only day that I ever drive into the city and it's also a day when traffic isn't an issue unless a major event is on.That said,if public transport ran more frequently (at least on a Saturday timetable),it sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

I've a vested interest as Sunday is the only day that I ever drive into the city and it's also a day when traffic isn't an issue unless a major event is on.That said,if public transport ran more frequently (at least on a Saturday timetable),it sounds like a good idea.

On those days you could ramp up PT capacity due to less cars, plus there would be more cyclists too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Car parks wouldn't like it. They must be appeased at all costs for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

what's the point of this?

If it's to reduce emissions, then instead of making a big deal about what looks like one day a year of encouraging public transport (from your brussels link), surely the government should be giving incentives to companies for allowing things like working from home for jobs which could be done remotely?

This would have a much greater impact, as it would reduce the peak-time traffic levels and people sitting in cars or buses producing smog in the city centre while jammed in traffic.

It's 2017 and most non-manual jobs can be done remotely using the internet to a decent level.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People who travel by PT will not be affected. People who drive just won't go into the city, as there are no massive safe carparks outside the city for them to park in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

yoke wrote: »
    It's 2017 and most non-manual jobs can be done remotely using the internet to a decent level.

This is always put forward as a solution, or at least a partial one. I would love to work from home a few days a week. Its do-able.

My colleagues would hate it, they tell me.
    IT would have to invest a little and there would be a general refusal to fund payment for this.
    Management wouldn't have any of it. They want you onsite.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Something took place last year:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/car-free-day-set-for-dublin-cork-and-dundalk-1.494137

Wasn't a Sunday or as big as it could have been however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

the_syco wrote: »
    People who travel by PT will not be affected. People who drive just won't go into the city, as there are no massive safe carparks outside the city for them to park in.

I dont bother going into the city unless I am driving. What is point of taking the bus when it is every 30 mins on a Sunday? It is a nightmare to slip into the city for a single thing and have to wait 30 mins for a Bus when it comes every 10 mins midweek

In Germany, trams are generally as frequent on a Sunday as during the week and they dont even have shops open on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

This is exactly why we need government incentives to companies that allow work-from-home.
    Management should suddenly be interested when they realise it makes a net saving - ie. if 90% of the work was done reliably at only 80% of the cost, that's a net saving. Also helps reduce employee turnover due to higher employee satisfaction, which keeps recruitment and training costs down.
    I've worked from home full-time the past 4 years and I love it - no getting up early to sit in traffic or other sh*te in the morning. I don't really understand why anyone would volunteer to sit in traffic for an extra 2 hours a day for a job that allows it, just to sit in an office with other people. It's not like they're going to do your work for you... What's there to "hate" about work-from-home? Are your colleagues having parties at work or something? :)
    Chris_5339762;102779951
    [...]
    My colleagues would hate it, they tell me.
    IT would have to invest a little and there would be a general refusal to fund payment for this.
    Management wouldn't have any of it. They want you onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Singapore: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/mass-events-to-kick-off-first-car-free-sunday-in-heart-of-city

These seem like great events to make people more open to not using their cars in the cities and using Public transport/cycling. Why doesn't Dublin do something like this, like closing off private transport inside the north and south circular roads for a Sunday.

I drive into the city centre each Sunday to buy a fridge, an oven and record player in Brown Thomas. If we have car-free Sundays the businesses will suffer.

Also the AA will also give out about it on radio stations that they have large commercial deals with and which happen to give them loads of air time to spout their nonsense as some sort of responsible unbiased representitives of motorists which is no way an abuse of media power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I drive into the city centre each Sunday to buy a fridge, an oven and record player in Brown Thomas.

Surely you have to accept not everyone is buying half the units new of their Kitchen every Sunday? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Consonata wrote:
    I recommend a Saturday and between the canals, it's a good natural boundary that's easier to monitor and less impacting the greater Dublin area.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    I drive into the city centre each Sunday to buy a fridge, an oven and record player in Brown Thomas. If we have car-free Sundays the businesses will suffer.

Sure there's always Deliveroo and many other direct delivery options business can capitalise with from their showrooms that customers would probably prefer to use instead of hauling appliances, etc. home in the back of their car.. and if it comes with free installation and free collection, as most appliance sales must, it's a win win for the consumer, environment and seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

totally impractical. I find Sunday a busy day with all the people returning home/to work/to college after the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hytrogen wrote: »
    Sure there's always Deliveroo
    unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Isambard wrote: »
    totally impractical. I find Sunday a busy day with all the people returning home/to work/to college after the weekend.
    in the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hytrogen wrote: »

Sure there's always Deliveroo and many other direct delivery options business can capitalise with from their showrooms that customers would probably prefer to use instead of hauling appliances, etc. home in the back of their car.. and if it comes with free installation and free collection, as most appliance sales must, it's a win win for the consumer, environment and seller.

Deliveroo only do food and there's very few free delivery options, despite the low pay they still need to pay the drivers and helpers. Then there's the hassle of having to take time off work to wait in for the delivery which usually has a several hour window and no idea of when it'll arrive, which is usually just as you sit down on the jacks! If I haul something home in my car it's ready to go straight away, if I order something it could be several days before it's delivered and that's not much good if it's something essential that's gone kaput.

Del2005 wrote:
    Deliveroo only do food and there's very few free delivery options, despite the low pay they still need to pay the drivers and helpers. Then there's the hassle of having to take time off work to wait in for the delivery which usually has a several hour window and no idea of when it'll arrive, which is usually just as you sit down on the jacks! If I haul something home in my car it's ready to go straight away, if I order something it could be several days before it's delivered and that's not much good if it's something essential that's gone kaput.

I'm sure there's a launderette nearby for those few days your washingmachine goes tech, and the dishes oh well, who skips on arms day in the gym these days..
    I've never had anything large or significant delivered without the driver calling to check I'm home after his last drop off and if you schedule something they're usually good at arriving in that time.

I'm all for this concept of a no-car day trial. Personally I think parking spaces have become too narrow across the city overall, not everyone owns or wants to own a fiat500. If you live between the canals there really is no point in owning a car for commuting, doing your daily shop etc. as the area are well serviced by public transport, close enough to walk and has a brilliant world leading bike scheme, ok the bike lanes surfaces need a good look at, but from visiting other major cities recently which have a severe problem of smog, as Dublin did once not so long ago, with green areas in short supply any bit to reduce the emissions and pollutants around densely populated areas is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This strikes me as an absolutely stupid idea. I cycle my commute every day through clogged car streets and the only time I could have the convenience of actually going into the city centre for any reason by car is on a relatively low traffic day such as a Sunday.

Surely the logical answer is to penalize private car use at the times of maximum usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Surely the logical answer is to penalize private car use at the times of maximum usage?

Too many public sector employees, with free parking between the canals, for that to be implemented.

The logical answer is to improve public transport options first and then start hitting private transport, because at times of maximum car usage I don't see much spare capacity on public transport.

• Advertisement

This strikes me as an absolutely stupid idea. I cycle my commute every day through clogged car streets and the only time I could have the convenience of actually going into the city centre for any reason by car is on a relatively low traffic day such as a Sunday.
    heh. so you want the day which would be easiest to try this idea excluded from it specifically because it *is* the easiest day to try it?

two of the three cities in the OP are only doing it on one sunday. i'm not sure if the OP was suggesting that we should do it every sunday, but that is not going to happen.

Del2005 wrote:
    Too many public sector employees, with free parking between the canals, for that to be implemented.
    Go on stab public servants, ya had to get it in early didn't you.
    Needless to say there are more private businesses with secure complimentary parking for their staff across the county and country so don't go blaming the public servants for your lackadaisical attitude.

i keep hearing both these claims made - who actually tracks this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because public transport in Ireland is brutal on Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

in the city centre?

sure.... people live and work there

you'd clearly have to make allowances for people who live within whatever boundaries would be defined for such an event.
    i would be curious about how much private car traffic on a sunday within the canal cordon would be people returning home or to college after the weekend. i suspect it'd be a small proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I wouldn't mind some car-free weekdays so we could stand a chance of getting into work in a reasonable time.

Too many clowns on our roads that haven't a clue what they should be doing .

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Come on...you could never pass on a typical Sunday Drive. Its always lovely to just go for a drive on a Sunday.

how many people go for their sunday drive around the city centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

how many people go for their sunday drive around the city centre?

Im not sure of numbers but I would often bring the kids to a museum or a park then for food/icecream and they would fall asleep in the car on the way home. Its a lovely day out for any family and very relaxing.

Advertisement