Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective Section - First Pregnancy - Coombe

Options
  • 01-03-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All

Myself and my wife have recently found out we are expecting our first baby in November. Obviously we are very early into the pregnancy but my wife is and always has been adamant that she wants to have a section as she has a genuine fear of a natural birth

Does anyone have any experience of requesting this in the public system ? we will be attending the Coombe and wondered if this would be an option or would we have to go private in order to obtain this ?

Any up to date information anyone may have would be greatly appreciated. Did you have a fight on your hands ? who was best to speak to etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

No personal experience, but people have posted similar questions here in the past. I can't see an elective section being catered for in the public system - surely you'd have to go privately for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NOV17

No personal experience, but people have posted similar questions here in the past. I can't see an elective section being catered for in the public system - surely you'd have to go privately for that.

This is the question of the day ! I can find some old information alright but nothing up to date and conclusive. Obviously if it transpires that we will need to go private then we will as the anxiety over 9 months will do no one any good - especially not the baby. I was just wondering if anyone is currently in the same situation and what road blocks they met along the way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I remember one of the girls in the group mention a class that Holles Street run for those with extreme fear of birth. I'm sure the Coombe would offer something similar. Maybe talk with the consultant about all the options

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NOV17

Love2love wrote: »
    I remember one of the girls in the group mention a class that Holles Street run for those with extreme fear of birth. I'm sure the Coombe would offer something similar. Maybe talk with the consultant about all the options

Thanks l2l. I will mention that but I don't think it will be a runner. If it wasn't for this fear we would have tried earlier. That's the extent of it. We will go private if needs be but just obviously the money spent would be very useful in other areas in terms of having a new born.

Will speak to the Coombe and see what happens I suppose. Nothing else we can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

If it's genuine tocophobia, it will go like this: she will be referred to a clinical psychologist to explore the nature of her fear. At 34 weeks she will be seen by a Consultant and a full discussion will be had regarding mode of delivery, risks etc will be discussed. Antenatal classes would be a good idea, ideally a visit to the labour ward to show the delivery rooms should take place so the woman has an idea of where she will deliver.

The safest way to deliver a baby is vaginally. A Primiparous elective section for no clinical indication is asking the Doctor looking after your baby to put the mothers life in danger, so genuine tocophobia has to be a) proven b) offered management so a full informed decision can be made by the patient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

It's extremely unlikely she will be allowed to have a section on her first child, especially going public. I had a terrible birth on my first and I'm fighting for a section this time around and they're reluctant to give me one. They have mentioned sending me to the mental health services in the Coombe to chat with someone about the birth. I suffered with PTSD the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

I too have a genuine fear of childbirth but I would rather have a natural than C section solely down to the recover period. My sister has suggested hypnotherapy to alleviate the fear which I will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

dove2011 wrote: »
    I too have a genuine fear of childbirth but I would rather have a natural than C section solely down to the recover period. My sister has suggested hypnotherapy to alleviate the fear which I will start.

Having had a section, and the tough first few wks recovering, would recommend she try get some help with natural birth if possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have no experience with c-sections and the idea of one terrifies me. I don't like the idea of recovery time or of not being able to stand up and stretch my legs after birth.
    I do know what it is like to suffer from anxiety to the extend that entertaining something is not even possible ,it just is not an option.
    I think she needs to talk to her consultant/midwife and GP and explain how she feels
    Good Luck with the pregnancy and baby,1st babies are wonderful:) 1st pregnancies not so much!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement