Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April travel suggestions - 1 week

Options
  • 01-03-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

I am taking 1 week's holiday at the start of April and was looking for suggestions of places to go. I am female, mid-30's and will be travelling solo and would prefer somewhere that offered things/see to do rather than just lying on a beach somewhere for the week. I was looking at the possibility of exploring New York for the week but it starts to look v expensive when accommodation is factored in as a solo traveller. Alternatively I have been looking at maybe doing a bit of interrailing. Can anyone suggest a good route for this time of year? I have only really seen Berlin, Barcelona and Paris of mainland Europe so far.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

If you are interested in New York - try one of the POD hotels - they do single rooms suited for a solo traveller. Decent clean hotel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If you can make NY work, then I would do that. Its an amazing city.

Otherwise Krakow is lovely and weather should be nice at that time of year. Other cities I liked were Paris and Salzburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

NY is terrific but expensive. Rome is my favourite city but lots of other great places such as Seville, Madrid, Nice, Budapest, Prague, Athens, Vienna??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Where2go2017

Thank you for the suggestions. I forgot to mention I've been to Rome also. 
    Can anyone perhaps recommend an Airbnb in NY?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

Try Seville Ryanair fly there direct (airport 10 mins from airport) its a fantastic very safe city with great day trips to Granada and Cordoba.

We stayed in Apartmento Purista 88 in Triana Seville in the old town a fab apartment with stone walls and balcony overlooking the Old Town and 5 mins from all the attractions. (40euro per night per person when we contacted them directly as opposed to taking tripadvisor rate). You would need 3 days to see all of Seville. We flew out st stephens day and it was 22 degrees for the week.

This city is so different from Barcelona or Madrid it really has to be seen to be believed. We spent 10euro a night each on a three course meal with 2 glasses of wine. A glass of wine is 1.50euro in most bars and a gin and tonic is 3euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Lisbon is a fantastic city, with lots to see and do, and it will be nice and warm there now also. A beautiful, laid back place, with wonderful food and drink at great prices. For a week you could do 3 days there, take a train to Porto and a few days there, and fly home from there. Can't recommend Portugal highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Where2go2017

Thanks Everythinggood; I actually was in Lisbon two years ago for a sun holiday; lovely city.
    I guess I'm looking more for culture than the drinking scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Why not head to one of the Italian lakes. Maggiore, Como or Garda. Travel around on the local bus or Kriss Kross on the local ferries.
    or
    Visit the city of Bologna. Take day trips from there to Ravenna, Parma, Rimini etc all within an hour of Bologna.

Advertisement