Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences of public psychiatric treatment - both inpatient and outpatient

Options
  • 01-03-2017 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there!

I'm 20 years old, and suffer with depression-dominated Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder.

I attend a counselor weekly, and I'm under the care of a psychiatrist for the past 3 years. I also attend weekly support groups. However, to put it mildly, I'm not doing well. At all.

I have regular moments (which last bout 4-5 hours) of huge suicidal ideation and self harm - my doctors are all well aware of this. I've been told to go to A+E if necessary, but I've also been told by the same professional that this would lead to admission and that public inpatient services are for "the extremely ill" and that I'll come out worse off than I went in.

I have an appointment with outpatient public services for a multidisciplinary team, but won't meet them for another 2 months. The same individual as mentioned above also told me that going to A+E would get this appointment brought forward.

I'm feeling so confused and desperate. I feel like I'm screaming at everybody for help, and I just keep getting met with deadlines or "the hospital will be terrifying and awful and make you worse".

Can anybody share their experiences of public mental health treatment? Did you find it beneficial? Were the waiting periods long?

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Your story reminds me of myself up to a few years ago

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/news/207291/The-boy-with-the-thorn-in.html

Investigate and educate yourself on your moods, keep a diary, take in some holistic treatments, investigate omharmonics, all of that whilst still continuing to see your GP and other medical psychologists. Keep everyone in the loop. No one is 100% right, take what you need for you and politely ignore the overall ideology

I was never a public patient so I can't comment on that, from what I have heard its not good, poor even, but don't let that put you off. There are things you can do to help yourself.

I went to MyMind to start my counselling, its 50 quid a pop less if you're a student

You don't mention your lifestyle, if you drink\smoke a lot, I'm going to guess that you do...Just from my own and others experiences, if so these are things you will have to change, no one can do this for you, its tough, its not magic unfortunately

The best thing I could say is become your own therapist, incorporate medical redundancy so you're not reliant on just one person

I have reduced medication to 50% of original lithium levels, but besides the psychiatrist I am seeing soley for this purpose (I have potential kidney eGFR issues which is main reason I am doing it. I am not anti medication but I believe its not the overall answer definitely not) I have other people to go to

Best of luck, honestly I am here to tell the story, I am 42 in a few weeks and still going strong, working away When I see stories like yours I have to offer advice, I never got any advice back then I had to find out by a fortunate series of coincidences and accidents :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

((HUGS)) op.

I was blessed in my own struggles to be left with no real medical care when I was on massive doses of benzos and ant ds.

In my case a misdiagnosis. And also some of my worst symptoms eg suicidal thoughts, were side effects of eg valium

Like the person who replied to you, I took charge of my situation. Took care of my general health, and of all health care issues.

Knowledge is power in a very real way

And I got support from online groups for the addictions and the illness. It was and is a long road OP but there is support and help there .

I know what deep desperation and that feeling of helplessness are. But decided to stop banging my head against brick walls...

Here for you..

Advertisement