Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Help: Dun Laoghaire to Drumcondra

Options
  • 28-02-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi All,

I did a search for threads but they were all quiet old. Long story short, I recently moved from Ranelagh to out near IADT for a bigger place and better lifestyle, etc. I work in Drumcondra, up by St Patrick's College and the commute is a nightmare at the moment by car. Whether I do N11 or Blackrock, it's over an hour. Nearly an hour and a half this morning. I've gone from a 20min commute to over triple that for a few kms.

I've queried buses/trains and would love to hear peoples thoughts on the 46a in the morning or the 4 direct across to Mobhi Road. Would rather spend an hour each morning on PT than in the car.

I need to be there by 8.15am.

Hope you can help! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

7.29 dart from Dun Laoghaire to Pearse. Then wait on the same platform for the 7.51 to Drumcondra, arriving 8.01.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hi All,

I did a search for threads but they were all quiet old. Long story short, I recently moved from Ranelagh to out near IADT for a bigger place and better lifestyle, etc. I work in Drumcondra, up by St Patrick's College and the commute is a nightmare at the moment by car. Whether I do N11 or Blackrock, it's over an hour. Nearly an hour and a half this morning. I've gone from a 20min commute to over triple that for a few kms.

I've queried buses/trains and would love to hear peoples thoughts on the 46a in the morning or the 4 direct across to Mobhi Road. Would rather spend an hour each morning on PT than in the car.

I need to be there by 8.15am.

Hope you can help! :cool:
    n97 mini wrote: »
    7.29 dart from Dun Laoghaire to Pearse. Then wait on the same platform for the 7.51 to Drumcondra, arriving 8.01.

What will you do with the other half an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

play around to see this route at:
    [font=Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]https://goo.gl/lW0XWL[/font]

Btw the Irish Rail journey planner is notoriously conservative. It seems to allow a minimum of 12 minutes to make a connection, even when it leaves from the same platform. Google maps is more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Thanks for the reply guys. I did consider that, however IADT is a 20 mins walk to either Monkstown or DL dart station. I'm up on Kill Avenue.
    And the train station in Drumcondra is another 15-20min walk to work. I don't mind the walk, however on a wet day like this evening!! :o
    What's bike parking like at DL/Monkstown DART? Train would be ideal.
    Dardania wrote: »
    play around to see this route at:
    [font=Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]https://goo.gl/lW0XWL[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks for the reply guys. I did consider that, however IADT is a 20 mins walk to either Monkstown or DL dart station. I'm up on Kill Avenue.
    And the train station in Drumcondra is another 15-20min walk to work. I don't mind the walk, however on a wet day like this evening!!
    You can get the 46a or 75 to DL and any bus from Drumcondra to the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why did you not move to Drumcondra or Glasnevin or.... anywhere near where you work?

I am sorry OP, but I just do not understand why people move to a so called NICE area for a better lifestyle only to be crippled with an awful commute!

Wish you well though.

Victor wrote: »
    You can get the 46a or 75 to DL and any bus from Drumcondra to the college.

Greatly added cost though?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

n97 mini wrote:

If using a leap card it's only 50 cent extra or something I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The bus option with the least walking would be the 46A into town and change to an 11 bus at any stage after Appian Way, that will bring you straight to St. Pats. The problem with the 46A coming from Kill Ave. in the morning is that there is no bus lane from Deansgrange Cross up Kill Lane to the N11 (Foxrock Church) so that could be a major bottleneck in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From 6th March the caps are updating (email today). Adult Weekly, Single Mode DB is €27.50.

10 x full fares is €26, no idea how many stages Victors proposition is but you're still only going to pay the 27.50. Go somewhere at the weekend and its even cheaper.

ED E wrote: »
    From 6th March the caps are updating (email today). Adult Weekly, Single Mode DB is €27.50.

10 x full fares is €26, no idea how many stages Victors proposition is but you're still only going to pay the 27.50. Go somewhere at the weekend and its even cheaper.

What's the DB+IE cap, which is what Victor is proposing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It 14 km by bike. You should cycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What's the DB+IE cap, which is what Victor is proposing?

Oops, misread that.

€40.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Weepsie wrote: »
    It 14 km by bike. You should cycle it.

As above, I do Killiney to the airport in 1 hour 10.

Dun laoighre to Drumcondra should be a 35-40 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on the facilities available to the OP; plus a cross city commute like that may be daunting if (s)he is not a cyclist already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    As above, I do Killiney to the airport in 1 hour 10.

Dun laoighre to Drumcondra should be a 35-40 minutes.

+1

I live close to the OP in Deansgrange and go to Santry every day.

A cycle to Drumcondra is very doable even for a novice

Bus lanes a lot of the way and long stretches without traffic lights, generally good road surfaces.

Advertisement