Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server 2012/Server R2 2012 difference

Options
  • 28-02-2017 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭

I have Windows Server 2012 Standard installed on a PC but it is not activated so I need a license. I have a choice of purchasing a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard license or a Windows Server 2012 Standard license (not R2). The R2 license is a little less expensive than the "non-R2" license so I would prefer to buy that one. Will the R2 license activate a non R-2 install? I know there is a difference between the two;R2 was released after the "non-R2" (I think).
    Thank you for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

There's a separate license required. They're different SKUs and built on different kernels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

roast wrote: »
    There's a separate license required. They're different SKUs and built on different kernels.

Thanks. That means I will have to buy the more expensive license so. I am getting the watermark reminder to activate it on screen now. Can you tell me how long I can use it without activation before it stops working completely?
    I would prefer to wait until next Monday to buy the license as that is when I can put it on my next credit card bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2012 = Windows 8 Server
    2012 = Windows 8.1 Server (roughly).

Still think your other thread is lunacy. Seems like you're spending money with no idea of where its going or what you want to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

are you running server 2012 as your PC OS?? would windows 7 or windows 10 work for you ???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Theres no good reason to stick with 2012 over R2 unless you can't afford the downtime to reinstall the OS and can't migrate existing workloads from the source server.

Edit: Based on your other thread about this being a test system, get the newer and cheaper license and use 2012 R2. Server 2016 has been out for a while now so there's no point in using a version 2 releases back, unless you explicitly need to learn about that environment.

• Advertisement

tech wrote: »
    are you running server 2012 as your PC OS?? would windows 7 or windows 10 work for you ???

Foundation Server won't run on Windows 7 or 10.It has to be a Server OS.I think you can get it to work on Windows 7 or 10 but you have to do make some changes to the OS that you are not really supposed to.

Fysh wrote: »
    Theres no good reason to stick with 2012 over R2 unless you can't afford the downtime to reinstall the OS and can't migrate existing workloads from the source server.

Edit: Based on your other thread about this being a test system, get the newer and cheaper license and use 2012 R2. Server 2016 has been out for a while now so there's no point in using a version 2 releases back, unless you explicitly need to learn about that environment.

Thanks but I saw this post too late.You are right in your suggestion.

Advertisement