Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend pregnant

Options
  • 28-02-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,
    More so looking for some advice as I only found yesterday that she is 3-4weeks pregnant.

It was unplanned so we're both abit shocked. It's our first so I'm abit lost on were we go from here.

Do we tell our parents now this early?
    Does she need to see a gp or can she register now with the Coombe hospital without a gp letter.

She works in health care and alot of her job is helping the elderly which includes lifting them up on hoists or manually lifting them should she stop that now or is it OK for a few more weeks.

Also we are going on holidays with friends and a few of my cousins obviously she can't drink as much as before so people are going to ask questions. But we kinda don't want to say anything to early to everyone incase the worst happens.

Oh and when do we get over the shock ? I haven't slept yet with worry haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Congratulations 2Mad2BeMad! Half of all pregnancies in Ireland are unplanned so you're in good company.

You can go to the GP to get a referral and there should be no charge.

Some good ways to avoid detection (although some people will still always guess) a) tooth infection and taking Flagyl (a specific type of antibiotic you can't drink) b) sparkling water or 7up in a G+T glass with whatever embelleshments, ice, lemon, juniper berries etc c) sit a glass of wine in front of you and pretend to sip whilst the other half drinks it on the sly d) a bad migraine.

I got through Christmas without anyone clocking by doing the above!

Best of luck! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    More so looking for some advice as I only found yesterday that she is 3-4weeks pregnant.

It was unplanned so we're both abit shocked. It's our first so I'm abit lost on were we go from here.
    Congratulations!
    wrote:
    Do we tell our parents now this early?
    It's entirely up to the couple but most people like to wait until around the 12 week mark.
    wrote:
    Does she need to see a gp or can she register now with the Coombe hospital without a gp letter.

She works in health care and alot of her job is helping the elderly which includes lifting them up on hoists or manually lifting them should she stop that now or is it OK for a few more weeks.
    She'll likely need a risk assessment, but usually they have a very clear policy on when work needs to be informed due to H&S so tell her to check her staff handbook.
    wrote:
    Also we are going on holidays with friends and a few of my cousins obviously she can't drink as much as before so people are going to ask questions. But we kinda don't want to say anything to early to everyone incase the worst happens.
    This is where you can step in with subterfuge - non-alcoholic beers can fool people and are ok to drink, or she can drink the likes of 'vodka' and coke /cranberry without the alcohol. And if someone buys her one, you discreetly swap it when you get the chance.

Excuses - don't use the antibiotics one. It's pretty much guaranteed that you'll get a slagging about being duffed if you do. I did! :D.

I pretended that I'd done the dog on it the night before and was still hungover and 'never drinking again' which worked very well. Then the following night at a different party I did it again blaming the night before.

I also pretended to have a UTI and stuck to cranberry as you are supposed to avoid alcohol during a bout. As it was to do with the bladder, people just nodded and didn't pry the way they might if it was any other ailment.

I know others have pretended that they are doing sports training or detoxing but I cant see many of those working on holiday in close proximity to people.
    wrote:
    Oh and when do we get over the shock ? I haven't slept yet with worry haha
    When they are about 18. :P You know how your mammy still fusses and worries that your coat is too thin/ that you are not eating right? That. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Congratulations :-)

The only thing I can advise is that from now on she will have to referred to as your partner. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

mitresize5 wrote: »

The only thing I can advise is that from now on she will have to referred to as your partner. :-)

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

mitresize5 wrote: »

I'm 41, my boyfriend is 45, we have a 3 year old and live together and we are boyfriend /girlfriend :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement