Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual boot installation of windows 7 and 8

Options
  • 28-02-2017 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello
    has anyone successfully loaded 2 operating systems on the same pc?
    I'm trying to do this for a computer course. Windows 7 loads ok but i always run into problems knowing how to partition the hard drive to allow for the 2nd installation. As far as I know the 2nd OS should go onto a logical drive but I then have a conflict between MBR and GPT
    Can anyone help, please?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The biggest issue is getting a legit license for the second copy of windows.

Other than that the usual rule is install the oldest version of windows first, then later versions of windows and then other OS's. Because windows doesn't always play nice with OS's it doesn't recognise.

Install windows then shrink the partition. you can have two primary partitions as well as others inside extended partition

TBH install a Virtualmachine using virtualbox , that way you don't have to mess with partitions

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

If you boot the Windows 8 installer in BIOS mode as opposed to UEFI it should install on an MBR disc (I assume this is the problem as Windows 7 usually creates an MBR partition table when installing. You'll have to turn on some setting in your UEFI/BIOS named Legacy CSM or something similar, this will allow you to boot the Windows 8 installer in BIOS mode and it will install to an MBR partition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You'd be far better off installing one as a guest OS in Virtualbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 newthingsgirl

Hi guys
    thanks for all these replies, we finally got both OSs installed last night. The problem was windows 7 using BIOS and 8 using UEFI, sorry for taking so long to reply but we only had our class last night and didn't get to try out any of the suggestions until last night, great to see it finally working.

Advertisement