Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackwake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I had my first few games tonight, it was a good laugh but can't be certain that it will have longevity. It's definitely good fun so far and worth the money if you can get a crew together but I understand that for some people €18 would be a bit of a stretch for a game that might only have novelty appeal.

Servers are very full atm but once they release dedicated server files through steam I'm sure we'll set up a server on gaellords.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Picked it up anyway, will give it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Animations look janky as hell but it still looks fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Zillah wrote: »
    Animations look janky as hell but it still looks fun.

True but it's quite impressive when one of the large galleons swings up beside you all of a sudden and you can see the individual crew members on the enemy ship all working away at their separate tasks. The performance is quite good considering the servers can handle up to a total of 54 players spread across multiple ships

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

playing it all weekend. it's tons of fun, best multiplayer experience i've had in years.

it's early access so there are bugs, mainly server instability but the devs (seemingly only 2 guys) are very quick with the fixes.

with some more game modes and ships, this game will be even better.

some hilarious RPing going on aswell. the vast majority of people seem to be playing somewhat in character. apart from the ships named after various slang words for penises of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

This is a lot of fun.

Loading and firing the guns, boarding enemy ships etc, its very good.

Animations need some work though, and i don't like how the kick from the cannon throws your view off so you can't see your shot impact.

Right now its a 3 v 3 game, with 3 ships each side. Two smaller ships with 7 crew and one larger Flagship with 13 crew.

The larger ships are chaos, and its brilliant. You have people running around firing cannon, loading, repairing holes, pumping out water, running resupplies, firing deckguns, taking potshots with muskets, etc. It's bedlam.

More often or not the captains are yelling down their mics in a faux pas pirate accent which adds to the entire atmosphere

Well worth the price tag, having a lot of fun with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Follow-up, few more hours in.

Found a particular captain, and always tried to be on his ship. Smooth control, clear orders, effective. The game shines when you're with a good crew.
    However, you can have the best crew in the world, but will suffer badly if you have a bad captain. Some work is needed to mitigate the effects of poor captains (yes, i know there is a mutiny system, still)

I played as a captain briefly, and it can be frustrating to line up perfectly on a target only to not fire the majestic broadside you were expecting because the guns weren't loaded.
    To that end it would be great if there was some sort of indicator system that let you know the current status of your ships guns. Maybe a secondary leadership role, a foreman of sorts who is responsible for informing the captain of gun status.

As for resupply, the box disappears when you run out of powder, regardless of how many shot, grapples, etc are still in there. I would like to see supplies separated by type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Follow-up, few more hours in.

Found a particular captain, and always tried to be on his ship. Smooth control, clear orders, effective. The game shines when you're with a good crew.
    However, you can have the best crew in the world, but will suffer badly if you have a bad captain. Some work is needed to mitigate the effects of poor captains (yes, i know there is a mutiny system, still)

I played as a captain briefly, and it can be frustrating to line up perfectly on a target only to not fire the majestic broadside you were expecting because the guns weren't loaded.
    To that end it would be great if there was some sort of indicator system that let you know the current status of your ships guns. Maybe a secondary leadership role, a foreman of sorts who is responsible for informing the captain of gun status.

As for resupply, the box disappears when you run out of powder, regardless of how many shot, grapples, etc are still in there. I would like to see supplies separated by type.

i think they will implement a first mate role for the galleons, there's been repeated calls for it.

Advertisement