Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch to engineering

Options
  • 26-02-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

If one has a BSc and an MSc in computer science is it possible to do an MEng and become a Chartered Engineer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

There's enough overlap between parts of computer science and electronic engineering these dats that the sort of route you suggest is not unusual. I don't know about chartered status (perhaps someone else can comment), but that's much less important outside of civil/structural engineer jobs anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What MEng were you thinking of doing?

I would have thought comp science to mech wouldn't be compatible.

you should contact the administrator of the course you're thinking of doing as they may run an access course which you could do if they don't accept a comp science qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Zipppy wrote: »
    If one has a BSc and an MSc in computer science is it possible to do an MEng and become a Chartered Engineer?

For civil/structural (But perhaps thats not what you're thinking?) you would need the relevant C/S degree to do the job itself and consequently to become chartered.

EI Chartership now requires a masters and min 4 years relevant experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

For civil/structural (But perhaps thats not what you're thinking?) you would need the relevant C/S degree to do the job itself and consequently to become chartered.

EI Chartership now requires a masters and min 4 years relevant experience.

Depends on on when you graduated.

EI were pushing computer sciences and the like to be included

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's your MSc?

I have a BEng and a MSc, my MSc can get me chartered in the U.K. And then I can swap it over to EI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

godtabh wrote: »
    Depends on on when you graduated.

Correct. Should have clarified.

Advertisement