Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Nissan xtrail to camper

Options
  • 26-02-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

I am considering buying and converting a first gen xtrail to camper. I would want it to be convertable ie fold out bed, cooker etc that are fixed to interior but can be folded away and rear seats unfolded.

I am also considering building a fold out roof tent area, with access through the panoramic sunroof! Don't know how possible that is, but I don't see why not!

My question is about registration, is it possible to register a 4x4 like this as a camper? I know it won't have the standing space of 1.8m but someone told me that is no longer a requirement?

I have also heard that it isn't a requirement for registration as camper, but that insurance company's require it? If that's the case, is it possible to register it as a camper and then just pay normal car insurance?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Is it possible? Possibly..

Will the revenue and insurance make it as difficult as possible for you? Yes..

The only way you will get insurance on that is via declined cases and it will probably be at such a high price that you would be as well better off taxing and insuring it privately and have none of the hassle.

Advertisement