Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch electric trains run on 100% renewable energy

Options
  • 26-02-2017 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

NS http://www.ns.nl/en the Dutch railway system – have contracted for 100% of the electricity they need to be generated by wind farms either based in NL or in other states.

This power is fed into the Dutch grid, and NS take it out at point of use.
    Certain idiot journalists posted fake news to the effect that the power is being mixed with nuclear power, coal generated power etc in the grid.
    What do they expect? For NS to set-up a second duplicative national grid, to carry the pristine wind generated power directly to their transport system? Creating even more needless pollution mess running a second national grid?

It is no different to having an electric car, and using a wind or other renewable electricity supplier to power your home. Your car will be running on renewable electricity – despite the other types of energy traffic on the national grid. And if everybody uses renewable suppliers, the national grid will become 100% green – because there will be no demand for the other stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Other European Countries laugh at Ireland, a country surrounded by oceans and seas , a country with ideal wind conditions, a country with huge gas fields and untapped oil reserves, yet a country that burns coal to produce Electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Other European Countries laugh at Ireland, a country surrounded by oceans and seas , a country with ideal wind conditions, a country with huge gas fields and untapped oil reserves, yet a country that burns coal to produce Electricity.

Whatever about our underutilised wind and sea resources (which we're slowly getting around to), where are these huge untapped gas and oil reserves? If you've any secret industry knowledge I'd be more than willing to invest ;).

Identifying and testing potential wells costs hundreds of millions of euro a go and so far have returned not one barrel of oil. Every year I read at least one story about "potentially a gazillion barrels of oil have been located off the coast" but then it's never heard of again. While I'm not saying there definitely aren't significant hydrocarbon reserves around Ireland, they definitely haven't been proven yet.

It also doesn't help in my perception that the source for a lot of these "we're sitting on a trillion euro worth of oil!!!" rants tends to be the same types who think we can leave the EU so that the entire population can make a living off fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What other countries laugh at us?

Untapped oil reserves? That's because they are not financially feasible.

Tell me more about these huge gas fields. Can you pount them out to me, could be s killing to make as there's only being two viable fields found to date

Coal is the cheapest electricity, it allows us to pay subsidies for renewables.

Out SNSP is gradually rising, the apple data Center in Athenry will more than likely have a higher load than the Dutch train system and it will be run on 100% renewables as are many if the data centres and pharma plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ireland could have very green and efficient trains if it only invested in some 'old' technology that was pioneered here many years ago. The Drumm trains were battery operated and charged at night - on what these days would be cheap off peak electricity - and were only done away with when the expensive batteries needed replacing. I'm no expert on battery technology, but I would guess that it has moved on a bit since the 1930's and the costs/efficiency improved.

Advertisement