Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch neutered?

Options
  • 26-02-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Ok a quick fairly obvious q I think.
    Got our collie neutered around 6months ago now she was roughly a year at the time (not sure of her age as she's v small for the breed).
    Now we also have an old male lab not neutered(literally never roams away from home v non aggressive and TBH I'm not sure he actually knows what to do...) so the last couple of days the lab has been getting v friendly with the collie. Following her ,humping the air around her,licking her etc. Everything that he did before when she was in heat ( reason I don't think he knows what to do is he deff got opportunities the last time but she wasn't in pup as they checked) so could it be possible she wasn't fully neutered? Is that even possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Not sure if dogs can get the same thing, but our cat had Ovarian Remnant Syndrome. Basically there was a tiny piece of ovarian tissue left behind during the spay and the hormones from the tissue made her go into heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Not sure if dogs can get the same thing, but our cat had Ovarian Remnant Syndrome. Basically there was a tiny piece of ovarian tissue left behind during the spay and the hormones from the tissue made her go into heat.

I have heard that this can happen with dogs too... I was so worried it would happen with my girl but lucky it didn't. She had pyometra and it can happen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Here's some info about it for dogs http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/reproductive/c_dg_ovarian_remnant_syndrome

With our cat she had to go in and have a hormone injection designed to induce ovulation, then about a week later a blood test was done to measure hormone levels compared to expected normal levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Thanks all-tried the vet today just to double check but phone was engaged. Our lab is getting some exercise out of it anyway-he's following her everywhere-he is wrecked in the evenings from all the courtship. Might help him lose some weight lol

Advertisement