Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zanussi integrated washer-dryer and possible replacement

Options
  • 26-02-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

About a year ago, I bought a house, and inherited a Zanussi ZKI 245 integrated washer dryer. I haven't been able to find out for sure, but based on the product number, it looks like it was made sometime between 2008 and 2011.

From the start, it had an issue with strange motor noises for the first few minutes of operation (I think, based on youtube videos, that this was the brushes sparking). It also seemed to have difficulty balancing the load, often taking a lot longer than the display said to do a cycle, and the drying cycle was noisy (a sort of grinding noise), though it did work. Recently, though, it has started getting noisy on spin (it sounds like a mild version of the "bearing gone" noise seen in youtube videos, though moving the drum by hand, it seems normal), and the drum is moving back and forward a lot, to the point where it occasionally hits the door.

Is there any point even getting someone to look at this? It seems like it has about three or four problems, and I can't imagine it's going to be economical to repair.

If not, does anyone have any recommendations on a good integrated washer-dryer? Unfortunately, I don't really have any room for a separate dryer, short of putting a condenser dryer in the spare room, so I think I'm stuck with a combo. I'm not inclined to get another Zanussi/Electrolux, just based on this one, and the one in the last place I rented (which was newer, but more broken). The next step up (Bosch/Siemens/Neff) is a fair bit of extra money, though; is it worth it, or are these just inclined to be unreliable?

Advertisement