Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schema Therapy in Ireland

Options
  • 26-02-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have attended this type of therapy (I think) for about two years. Not going as well as I would like.

I have read as much as I can and I am trying to learn and internalise what is involved but therapy is bringing up so much hurt that the following week can be totally hell. I can not trust the person working with me and the unintentional mistakes being made in therapy are burying me.

I would love to hear of others in the Irish context that have experience of this type of therapy. My mistrust schema is at an all time low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's a Schema Therapy Association of Ireland which is made up of reputable therapists. Here's information on the relevant training.

As always there will to 2-day courses and so on that people will undertake and then call themselves Schema Therapists.

As there is no statutory registration of counsellors and psychotherapists, it's a bit of a buyer beware situation for most people, and the sticky on How to Find a Counsellor gives some questions anyone should ask a therapist.

If you don't trust your therapist then I expect your mistrust levels are high; the question is, is your mistrust justified? You might discuss this with your therapist or talk with the professional body above.

As this forum is generally for counsellors and psychologists, you may not find anyone who has attended a Schema Therapist here. I could move your post to Personal Issues where you might get more answers, if you like. Let me know, JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tuirseach

If you think I would get a response from the public in another area of boards by all means change the request for help

You might want to restate what your problem is, rather than just looking for input from other people who have experience of Schema Therapy as a client. If you do that I'll check with the PI mods. Thanks JC

• Registered Users Posts: 9 olliephelan

Im not familiar with the therapy in any form , but have you thought that that may be the purpose of it ? ie ; To bring that hurt to the surface where you can gradually deal with it ?......No pain , no gain ?
    If your finding it painful , then that could possibly be viewed as real progress .?

The therapist , or Schema has no ulterior motives .
    What possible reason could there be for him/her to be untrustworthy ?

In therapy , the subject matter is the cause of the pain and moreso , how you perceive it.
    So , if you were not finding it difficult , then it probably would not be working .
    If a session involves a lot of tears , then its working quite well .
    I only have experience as a patient myself .
    My therapist was so nice and lovely that we chatted and chatted and therefore no progress was made .

In my humble opinion , if you become angry or annoyed or upset or distressed or emotional ......then real progress is being made .

I think the best possible thing for you to do , is tell the therapist exactly what you wrote above .
    They wont get indignant or insulted.
    Theyre used to things like that .

Advertisement