Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pig question

Options
  • 25-02-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to get a large hutch in the summer and purchasing a rabbit and guidea pig. But neighbours have cats now and was warned off the rabbit because of cats, not the friendliest cats and often come into garden when dog is in the house. Heard rabbits could get bad heart attacks, is this the same case for guinea pigs,

Have people any advice, I don't want to get one if any possible problems from cats .

Any advise please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Well for a start you cannot keep Guinea Pigs & Rabbits in the same hutch. They have completely different diets. They have different methods of communication & rabbits can pass on respiratory illness to the Guinea pigs. Also there is a huge risk of a rabbit seriously injuring or killing the Guinea pig.

Both need to be kept secure from cats and other predators using a secure pen or hutch. I would start chasing the cats out of the garden now. I have terriers & Guinea Pigs & the Guineas are not too afraid but have a hiding house for when they get scared. My Guineas are kept indoors. Guinea Pigs do not do well in Irish Winters outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Guinea pigs do far better indoors as said above, a run for summer time outdoors with a house is ok, but they are very social and love to chat to you.
    Always keep in pairs (2 male or 2 female), preferably siblings or two young males or females around same age.
    They like being washed, but catch colds easy, so keep them warm, look up about diet, it's not as easy as you think to keep them.
    And lastly if you have kids, they are not a good pet for kids under about 10, they are easily injured and have sharp claws. They must be handled regularly and gently and it's hard to find a good vet for them, so ask around.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

Our piggies live mostly outdoors , in a hutch (two girls in one and three
    Boys in another ) and in winter we move the hutch into the shed. As long as they have lots of hay and are not introduced to living outdoors in the winter they should be fine .. if it's snowing we would bring them in. Do bear in mind that they require very regular cleaning. They don't really care where they poop and can't really be litter trained. Unlike rabbits who are naturally cleaner and most will
    Use a litter box. Previous posters are right about keeping rabbits and Guinea pigs Seperate though they may enjoy play time together. I disagree about them not being good pets for under tens. We keep rabbits and guinea pigs and also board small animals and In my opinion Guinea pigs are much better for children, most enjoy being handled and are unlikely to scratch or bite like a rabbit might. They are easy to hand tame because they love food :)

Advertisement