Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Kitchen - any downsides?

Options
  • 25-02-2017 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, just bought a new apartment, and need to install a new kitchen on a budget. So far, IKEA seems like the best option on the price alone. Has anyone used them? Any regrets?

Also, looking at reviews for their appliances, it seems that people think they are not as good as other similarly priced brands. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭SC024

no room behind unit for pipes/wires etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

We got a kitchen with them recently. Their logistics department were a nightmare to deal with. We are in the west, the first kitchen that came had 29 boxes that were sapping wet..all had to be returned. Then the didn't send the appliances on time so the fitter had to be delayed.

After three months the cooker was only browning food on one side, I had loads of hassle trying to get it replaced, they tried to pawn me off to Whirlpool but my contract was with IKEA so insisted on a replacement.

The only saving grace of the entire process was that we chose IKEA to fit also, (so there could be no miscommunication and nobody could blame anyone else), The fitter was a gem. He was a real gent, he worked long and hard to get the kitchen right.

Only word of advice would be to either get them to install it or be 100% on top of the fine details.

At the end of the day we have a kitchen that we really like and is very stylish so I guess it was worth all the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We built in Germany and fitted an IKEA kitchen. Technically they are great with hinges and drawer runners made by Blum in Austria.

The appliances are IMO comparable to other stuff in that price category but they stand over it with a 5 year warranty which is virtually unheard of with other manufacturers unless you pay more for an extended warranty.

We however also had problems....The worktop was made to measure as it runs into the window reveal. I fitted the whole kitchen to then realise they'd messed up somewhere (they planned the worktop after verifying my kitchen design). It took many weeks to get the matter rectified. Initially they tried to blame me but eventually relented and supplied a new worktop and even paid for fitting, which saved me a job.

If you have exposed pipework running horizontally along the walls this is a problem for IKEA kitchens as there is no void behind them. In Germany this is very rarely a problem as services are almost always in the wall but in Ireland might be.

I would fit IKEA again but I would stop at the worktop and order this made to measure from somewhere else to avoid the heartache of IKEA logistics.

Advertisement