Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning teeth in bed

Options
  • 25-02-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My OH cleans in between her teeth with small brushes and flosses IN BED.
    I've asked to stop but she says it's no harm and starts a row...

Am i wrong?

Help...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but it sounds pretty unhygienic to me.

Why is she so vehemently against brushing/flossing in the bathroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Funny enough, I don't like flossing or using them wire things to clean my teeth in front of the mirror either but enjoy it when I'm chilled out watching the tv. I wouldnt like it if someone beside me was at it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Jesus no you're right. Its rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

She always done this or just started?
    Where does she put the used floss etc... when finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's completely vile. Any personal
    grooming should be done in private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

What's the harm in it? Wouldn't do it myself but wouldn't care one iota of my OH was doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Don't understand the fuss about this personally. If it bothers you so much as her to do it elsewhere (again) however from my perspective you're overreacting and it's non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Mena wrote: »
    Don't understand the fuss about this personally. If it bothers you so much as her to do it elsewhere (again) however from my perspective you're overreacting and it's non issue.

Its is an issue. Done correctly excess falls everywhere. If this is falling in the bed them it attracts unwanted germs and bugs feeding on excess food and waste you've been carrying in your mouth.

It's disgusting end of, by your reasoning we would be fine brushing our teeth under the covers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Mena wrote: »

Would you be happy if your partner was spitting out the remains of his/her dinner on to your duvet while you watch tv every night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

That is absolutely disgusting, seriously I retched reading your post op. As another poster has mentioned, if done correctly excess does go everywhere, and your partner is doing it in the bed?!... yuk!
    I think what's more worrying is that she doesn't seem to be bothered that you have a problem with it, it's a bad reflection on what may happen if there was more of a serious issue at stake.

If I were you I'd be showing her this post, and maybe she will realise that you are not in the minority finding this off putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Get her to do it in front of a mirror.Then she'll realise how much rotting food gets sprayed from her gob.

Then get her to clean the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

m'lady wrote: »
    If I were you I'd be showing her this post, and maybe she will realise that you are not in the minority finding this off putting.

Don't ever show your OH the post on the internet where you publicly shared his/her foible with the world and invited strangers to comment on it. It won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

phutyle wrote: »
    Don't ever show your OH the post on the internet where you publicly shared his/her foible with the world and invited strangers to comment on it. It won't end well.

True that, though if my OH was flossing his teeth in the bed we share it wouldn't end well either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not to mention the fact that they're presumably swapping bodily fluids on a regular basis anyway.

I find it quite funny when people get oddly precious about stuff like this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Is it kind of gross? Yes.
    Is it a little unhygienic? Probably.
    Is it doing either of you any real harm? Doubtful.

The real issue here is that it bothers you and she doesn't seem to care. As with everything else, this boils down to communication and compromise, not about who's right and who's wrong. It doesn't really matter whether or not a bunch of strangers on the interest think it's gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

woodchuck wrote:
    Is it kind of gross? Yes. Is it a little unhygienic? Probably. Is it doing either of you any real harm? Doubtful.

This. The OP's girlfriend is perhaps being a little uncouth but is she creating the kind of dire health hazard some here are suggesting? No.

Monogamous couples quickly enter a state called stasis where they basically become immune to eachother's bacteria. It's what allows people to partake in activities like rimming without making eachother ill.

Sorry to be crude but if you have an active sex life then you're already exchanging bacteria far "worse" than anything you'd find in her mouth.

I'm appalled by this from a practicality point of view. Surely the time for floss and inter-dental brushes is after you have brushed but before you rinse so that the tooth paste is still there and gets between the teeth and greases the wheel so to speak. All of this I do at the sink :confused:

OP tell her she's doing it wrong :pac:

Yeah she's doing it wrong, tell her to ask a dentist on her next visit.

My OH would quickly point this out to me , not be grossed out but be annoyed I was doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Flossing is a nice idea but this is poor execution.

Floss and or floss sticks and or interdental brushes might well be expected to produce dental debris and blood which have their own lovely colonies of bacteria inside the human gob.

How is the post flossing debris to be disposed of ? Answer, by rinsing around your mouth with water and spitting it down the loo or the sink. Ideally that could be done with proper mouthwash instead of water. Then she should look like this = :D

Tell her that you are exceptionally impressed that she is attending to dental hygiene so well but that you are very worried (yes - lie) that she is harming herself by not finishing the job. Say it softly and tell her that you would love to kiss her if she finished the job properly (yes - lie again). Hopefully that should do the job failing which ask her to give it up for Lent :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

You should cut your toenails in bed while she flosses. She how she likes being grossed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

....... wrote: »
    I never heard of the above.

I brush with toothpaste. Rinse.

Was never able to get to grips with floss so after brushing I use interdental drushes. Rinse.

Then mouthwash. No Rinse.

The above on dentists instruction.

My dentists instructions regarding the use of inter dental brushes were to do it while watching telly which I did. See nothing wrong doing it outside of the bathroom. Folks these days seem to go out of their way to be disgusted or offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

But if you don't rinse out your mouth with toothpaste and/or mouthwash after flossing, then your mouth pretty much smells like poop, because it's full of decayed food that you just released with floss.

Yeah, it's not going to be as magical living with someone after several years as opposed to the first six months, but you've got to at least make an effort to keep the spark alive.

Not having poop-smelling breath in bed is a start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's what allows people to partake in activities like rimming without making eachother ill.

I probably shouldn't have googled that :(

The brushes I wouldn't mind too much as they just push debris around. Flossing however makes food fly everywhere.

As another poster pointed out the bigger issue is that she knows it annoys you but doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

....... wrote: »

Seriously, it's gross. You need to rinse out your mouth with toothpaste or mouthwash after you use floss / interdental brushes, or you breath stinks. If you can't detect it yourself, do it as a favour for other people.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement