Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or New build?

Options
  • 25-02-2017 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some opinions on whether I should upgrade or start from scratch again. My current rig while good doesnt seem to be up to some of the newer games such as BF1 and ME: Andromeda when it comes out.

My current build is.

i5 4690k 3.5ghz
    As rock z97 extreme 4 motherboard
    16gb vengenance ddr3 low pro
    gigabyte windforce gtx970

Im thinking an upgrade from the I5 to an i7 would do me for the moment.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What resolution and FPS are you hoping for? If it's 1080p and 60FPS I'd imagine what you have already should still be able to handle that, maybe an upgrade to a 1070 or what ever the equivalent AMD card is when they get released. You shouldn't need to upgrade the processor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

What resolution and FPS are you hoping for? If it's 1080p and 60FPS I'd imagine what you have already should still be able to handle that, maybe an upgrade to a 1070 or what ever the equivalent AMD card is when they get released. You shouldn't need to upgrade the processor though.

BF1 processor specs are quite high I have it already and suffer from serious stuttering. Im at 1080 at the moment mostly playing overwatch hitting between 60 and 70fps.
    Link for bf1 specs min is i5 6600k
    https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tech

Not as harsh for mass effect bbut still quite beefy.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-andromeda-pc-specs-announced/1100-6448201/

I was hoping to jump up to 1440p with my monitor aswel my current is only 1080 at 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For Overwatch, try the following settings guide:

Have you tried overclocking your CPU?
    Haswell overclocking guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The minimum requirements for BF1 are pretty absurd and have no basis in reality. When you say stuttering, do you mean the odd hiccup in more hectic maps when the action kicks off (from say, 60-45fps momentarily or similar in Empires Edge/Quentin Scar) or actual regular stuttering? The former is normal in very intense situations as BF1 is very CPU hungry, the latter is not and is a software problem of some sort most likely.

To completely eliminate temporary FPS drops in BF1, an i7 is ideal, though the game does run generally fine on all i5 processors apart from the 1st generation, so if you're having serious problems or major frame drops there's something else amiss.

I wouldn't worry about 'minimum' specs, they're often ridiculous and make no sense. In BF1, the minimum requirement are an i5-6600K or the FX6350.....despite the fact that the i5-6600K is head and shoulders faster than the lacklustre FX-6350 and performs much, much better in BF1.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For Overwatch, try the following settings guide:

Have you tried overclocking your CPU?
    Haswell overclocking guide
    Overwatch runs perfect I have all the settings set to lowest as per the vid.

I might try bringing my clock speed up a bit though alright.
    The minimum requirements for BF1 are pretty absurd and have no basis in reality. When you say stuttering, do you mean the odd hiccup in more hectic maps when the action kicks off (from say, 60-45fps momentarily or similar in Empires Edge/Quentin Scar) or actual regular stuttering? The former is normal in very intense situations as BF1 is very CPU hungry, the latter is not and is a software problem of some sort most likely.

To completely eliminate temporary FPS drops in BF1, an i7 is ideal, though the game does run generally fine on all i5 processors apart from the 1st generation, so if you're having serious problems or major frame drops there's something else amiss.

I wouldn't worry about 'minimum' specs, they're often ridiculous and make no sense. In BF1, the minimum requirement are an i5-6600K or the FX6350.....despite the fact that the i5-6600K is head and shoulders faster than the lacklustre FX-6350 and performs much, much better in BF1.

It isn't a drop in Fps the game was completely freezing for 2-3 seconds even in single player campaign.I could see the game was still running as in time was passing and enemies were moving but I was in the same position . It was very strange. I was reading on the Battlefield forums that others were experiencing similar problems. This was back in December I haven't played since as I have been away for the last 2 months. I even had the settings down to Medium and it was still throwing up the same issue. I just thought it might be a hardware problem. I usually wouldn't pay too much attention to Min specs but it seems for the new AAA games they min specs are much higher than they would have been in the last few years hence thinking about the upgrade to keep up in at least High settings for the next year before doing a full new build.

• Advertisement

Nah, that's an issue alright, but not because the i5 is too slow. As I said, those requirements don't really make any sense - the i5-4690K can run the game 64 player online at ultra settings without any problems. If the game is freezing every few seconds there's a software problem/conflict somewhere.

Just try the usual steps - make sure all drivers are up to date, if that doesn't work, delete and re-download the game, etc.

I've actually run it (64 player online) on a 1st gen i7 from 2009 and 2nd gen i5 from 2011 among others and both work flawlessly. You can safely ignore all minimum requirements for AAA games these days, most of them make zero sense. The i5-4690K is still perfectly fine for all the latest games and will be for a few years.

Nah, that's an issue alright, but not because the i5 is too slow. As I said, those requirements don't really make any sense - the i5-4690K can run the game 64 player online at ultra settings without any problems. If the game is freezing every few seconds there's a software problem/conflict somewhere.

Just try the usual steps - make sure all drivers are up to date, if that doesn't work, delete and re-download the game, etc.

I've actually run it (64 player online) on a 1st gen i7 from 2009 and 2nd gen i5 from 2011 among others and both work flawlessly. You can safely ignore all minimum requirements for AAA games these days, most of them make zero sense. The i5-4690K is still perfectly fine for all the latest games and will be for a few years.

I did think it was strange that it wouldnt even play it properly. I must go back and have a look at it so. I didnt really have time at the time. Maybe I can hold off a couple months so until everything settles down with the new ryzen cpu's and do a full build(not that il stay intel but they might be a bit cheaper). And upgrade everything to run at 1440 with a higher refresh rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

the game does run generally fine on all i5 processors apart from the 1st generation

Dam, I've a GTX 1050 on the way, but it looks like my i5 760 wont be able to run BF1. I presume Gears of War 4 won't run well on this system either?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dubba wrote: »
    Dam, I've a GTX 1050 on the way, but it looks like my i5 760 wont be able to run BF1. I presume Gears of War 4 won't run well on this system either?

i5-760 + GTX 1050 should be fine, that's around Potato Masher level.

Great! Thanks K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement

Dubba wrote: »

I meant that as a fairly broad statement - it most definitely will run and it will be playable, but the framerate won't be very solid in some of the more hectic 64p maps like Quentin Scar and the dips on the 760 will be much more severe than they would be on an i5-2500/3470/etc and beyond.

BF1 is a very CPU hungry game, Gears of War 4 much less so, so that should be fine. Personally I'd consider 2nd gen i5 my personal minimum for BF1 online, but the i5-760 will play it.

If you can overclocking will help, or else a 2nd hand i7-870 for the 1156 is only about €35-40 and is a big upgrade in games like BF1 that can use the extra cores and threads.

I've a machine here with an i7-870 and it runs BF1 pretty well, no real complaints, most maps are a solid 50-60fps. BF1 is an exception in the power it requires, the truth is that most games in 2015/2016 run almost as well on a 1st gen i5/i7 from 2009 with an overclock as they do on the latest 6th gen i5/i7 until you start getting into very high end cards.

Thanks for that TerrorFirmer. I'll see how the two games play with my current spec. and upgrade a few parts if needed. It's only got 6gb of ram, so I'll probably need to bump that up soon as well.

I've been working away with laptops for the past few years while my desktop has been gathering dust. Looking forward to playing a few new games when my card arrives.

p.s. appoligies for the thread hijack OP

Advertisement