Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Update won't update...

Options
  • 25-02-2017 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

SO, I just installed Windows 7 on my laptop that was running Vista. It was a totally clean install, and I removed all the old partitions. Everything seems to work nicely. When I try to run Windows Update, it says "Windows could not search for new updates", and the error code 8007000E. I have searched some forums, but have had no luck with those solutions. Any help would be appreciated!!! 8-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I believe Windows 7 Update has been very flaky with a couple of years now.

The Convenience rollup package can be downloaded, as an all in one package, to help with this situation on Windows 7.

It's a Windows Service Pack in all but name, but, as I recall, Windows 7 will still identify as being SP1 after you type "ver" from a Command Prompt or run "Winver" from the Run dialog in the Start Menu.

Maybe something else from these articles may also help you as well.
    Hope it works out for you.

How to: Update Windows 7 all at once using the Convenience Roll-up (SP2)

Windows 7 Update solution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

Carlimited wrote: »
    SO, I just installed Windows 7 on my laptop that was running Vista. It was a totally clean install, and I removed all the old partitions. Everything seems to work nicely. When I try to run Windows Update, it says "Windows could not search for new updates", and the error code 8007000E. I have searched some forums, but have had no luck with those solutions. Any help would be appreciated!!! 8-)

I had the very same issue (see my post on this forum). I got the same error code. My situation was I had Windows 7 on a 500 GB drive (manufactured in 2006). I got a virus on it as a result of using cracked software (I think).
    The screen would fade to black just as the Windows welcome message appears and it wouldn't go any further. I bought a 2TB drive (manufactured in 2016) and tried to install Windows 7 on it. I got an error when it came to the part where I enter the PC name and logon name and password.
    I got some error message (I can't remember what it was). I had to use a command prompt to give the PC a name and logon.
    But Windows finished installing and I thought everything was OK. But when I tried to do updates I got the same error as you.
    I tried to fix it but I gave up eventually and decided to install Windows 7 on a 2TB drive (manufactured in 2012).It installed OK and no probs with updates.
    I am going to try to install Windows 10 on the 2TB drive (that Windows 7 gave the update error) but I haven't got around to it yet. I will post here when I get around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I second what Duridian said above. I now accept that Windows Update breaking is part of the overall Win7 install and update process. My last install was last year and the second link that Duridian posted above sorted it out for me.

This reminds me that I have an ongoing similar issue with a Vista install to sort out...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For XP and Vista the best thing to do is install the very latest (the month they stopped support normally) IE culmative update and the latest Windows Installer - this cuts the amount of updates it has to enumerate hugely. Obviously SP3 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you could try http://download.wsusoffline.net/

i have done that and windows 7 started picking up updates after all the updates had run.. much quicker than waiting for the normal updater.

Obviously do the service packs and the latest .net etc separately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I have 2 updates I keep on a usb stick for W7 clean installs KB3138612 and KB3172605, installing these get it working every time.

Advertisement