Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnose SMART status;USB HDD acting up

Options
  • 25-02-2017 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

Bought a Seagate 1tb USB3 drive there in the sales in PC world. Only been used occasionally to copy photos/videos off the laptop to conserve space.

It started acting up there tonight after copying a large file onto it (12gb). Was taking ages to respond in windows explorer and refusing to disconnect. No physical damage, it's kept in it's box most of the time.

Fired up speccy to have a look at the smart status and see if I could make sense of it. I think it's fubard but I'm going to stick the screengrabs up for a second opinion. How common is it for drives to just go and die? I'm not really impressed, I've the drive like 8 weeks.

DZSd52Z.png
    NMNDEfS.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

I am sure Windows had something to do with it. Seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Disagree.

That realloc count is the hint that things arent well. For infrequent use I'd expect that to be <5. Its only been online for 5hrs. I have drives with 4yrs uptime and 0 reallocs.

The freezing is the drive controller ignoring windows while it desperately reattempts reads on the same sector. Normally these come back within a few ms and when they dont explorer doesnt handle it well.

Normally Reallocs are a wear indicator, at that level a portion of the surface is dud from factory. Its the kind of thing that a full write/read/write cycle (a days worth on a large disk) catches but nobody does anymore.

Return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

ED E wrote: »
    Disagree.

That realloc count is the hint that things arent well. For infrequent use I'd expect that to be <5. Its only been online for 5hrs. I have drives with 4yrs uptime and 0 reallocs.

The freezing is the drive controller ignoring windows while it desperately reattempts reads on the same sector. Normally these come back within a few ms and when they dont explorer doesnt handle it well.

Normally Reallocs are a wear indicator, at that level a portion of the surface is dud from factory. Its the kind of thing that a full write/read/write cycle (a days worth on a large disk) catches but nobody does anymore.

Return it.

God you are right. The current pending sector count is even worse LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ED E wrote: »
    Disagree.

Return it.

Comprehensive post. Thanks for that.

Good news is that Curry's replaced it with little or no questions asked. Hopefully it was just a bad one from the factory.

Advertisement