Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Intervals

Options
  • 24-02-2017 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been swimming now for the last 6 months or so, I come from a club running background, but have cut back on running due to a hip replacement May 2015.

I have made improvements with my technique and pace since starting.

I went from 3.00 for 100m down to 2.15 & 1.20 to 1 minute for a straight 50m

I can swim 1k at 2.30 per 100m pace.

I want to do interval sessions 20 x 50 and 10 x100 but I'm not to sure what pace I should swim at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Congrats on the improvements.

Is 2:15 for a 100m flat out? And the 2:30/100 pace you're doing for 1km, is that something you can sustain reasonably comfortably?

If so, as a general starting point I'd aim for intervals at something like 75/80% effort with a time that gives you about 15 seconds rest. That's probably a decent starting point. If you want to swim the intervals closer to max speed then maybe push it out to give you 30 seconds rest, or if swimming a bit slower then maybe 5 - 10 seconds rest.

So as a rough starting point for 10x100 maybe try an interval of 2:40, aiming to come in on around 2:25.
    And for 20 x 50 maybe try 1:20. coming in on 1:10-1:15. Shorter distance so probably need slightly less rest.

Play around with the times a bit to see what is a good starting point for you, but the basic principle is that you're looking for a time that pushes you to swim at a pace that you wouldn't be able to sustain if swimming straight, with just enough rest that you can then repeat it.

Intervals are a brilliant way to train imo. It's a measurable thing - you can't cheat the clock! Basing your sessions around swimming at a perceived effort with a set rest is a bit variable and much harder to incrementally improve, as what you think feels like 80% effort one week might be different the next. Also allows you come up with lots more variations and interesting training sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Congrats on the improvements.

Is 2:15 for a 100m flat out? And the 2:30/100 pace you're doing for 1km, is that something you can sustain reasonably comfortably?

If so, as a general starting point I'd aim for intervals at something like 75/80% effort with a time that gives you about 15 seconds rest. That's probably a decent starting point. If you want to swim the intervals closer to max speed then maybe push it out to give you 30 seconds rest, or if swimming a bit slower then maybe 5 - 10 seconds rest.

So as a rough starting point for 10x100 maybe try an interval of 2:40, aiming to come in on around 2:25.
    And for 20 x 50 maybe try 1:20. coming in on 1:10-1:15. Shorter distance so probably need slightly less rest.

Play around with the times a bit to see what is a good starting point for you, but the basic principle is that you're looking for a time that pushes you to swim at a pace that you wouldn't be able to sustain if swimming straight, with just enough rest that you can then repeat it.

Intervals are a brilliant way to train imo. It's a measurable thing - you can't cheat the clock! Basing your sessions around swimming at a perceived effort with a set rest is a bit variable and much harder to incrementally improve, as what you think feels like 80% effort one week might be different the next. Also allows you come up with lots more variations and interesting training sessions.

Great info WeeBushy Thanks

Yes, the 2.15 was flat out, 2.30 was a straight 1k

I done 10x100 yesterday with 30 seconds rest and I was doing 2:20 average with comfort, next time I'll decrease my rest to 15 or 20.

I still have lots balance and kick work to do, I'm not kicking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

JosDel wrote: »
    Great info WeeBushy Thanks

Yes, the 2.15 was flat out, 2.30 was a straight 1k

I done 10x100 yesterday with 30 seconds rest and I was doing 2:20 average with comfort, next time I'll decrease my rest to 15 or 20.

I still have lots balance and kick work to do, I'm not kicking at all.

Nice one.

If 2:20 was comfortable, I'd try doing an interval time of 2:35 and swim slightly faster (2:15 pace should be achievable if 2:20 was comfortable) and see how that goes. If that's not achievable, then maybe push it out to 2:40 but keep the speed at 2:15 pace, as you want to be swimming faster than a comfortable pace when doing intervals.

Do you use a watch or are you comfortable using a pool pace clock?

I know your pain on kicking, I only kick just enough to keep a good body position. But maybe I shouldn't kick too much as I tend to swim longer distances and don't want to gas out... It definitely does help with balance though, keeping you stable and develops good rhythm.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/kick.html This is a great introduction to kicking if you are interested.

WeeBushy wrote:

I use a 910xt...thanks again, I'll have a go at the 2.15 next pool visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Nice one.

If 2:20 was comfortable, I'd try doing an interval time of 2:35 and swim slightly faster (2:15 pace should be achievable if 2:20 was comfortable) and see how that goes. If that's not achievable, then maybe push it out to 2:40 but keep the speed at 2:15 pace, as you want to be swimming faster than a comfortable pace when doing intervals.

I know your pain on kicking, I only kick just enough to keep a good body position. But maybe I shouldn't kick too much as I tend to swim longer distances and don't want to gas out... It definitely does help with balance though, keeping you stable and develops good rhythm.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/kick.html This is a great introduction to kicking if you are interested.

The swimsmooth book is great. Also don't kick much but started do a masters session once a week and they most definitely do kicks. I dread the kick sets as I literally go backwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Maybe invest in a snorkel, I got one and it helps me keep my shape and build a bit of momentum when kicking. Trying to breathe whilst holding a float was causing me to come to a dead stop at times!
    Sculling is good if you don't have a float.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

See attached file to set your interval swim times which include your rest time.

EN1: Basic Endurance Training
    Set Length: 600 to 2000m
    Repeats: 200mor swim times of 2mins & longer

EN2: Threshold Endurance Training
    Set Length: 500 to 4000m
    Repeats: 200m or swim times of 2mins & longer
    Examples: 20-40 x 50m, 10-20 x 100m, 5-10 x 200m, 3-4 x 400m

EN3: Overload Endurance Training
    Set Length: 500 to 2000m
    Repeats: any distance up to 2000m
    Examples: 20-40 x 50m, 15-20 x 100m, 6-10 x 200m, 3-5 x 400m

okane1 wrote: »
    See attached file to set your interval swim times which include your rest time.

EN1: Basic Endurance Training
    Set Length: 600 to 2000m
    Repeats: 200mor swim times of 2mins & longer

EN2: Threshold Endurance Training
    Set Length: 500 to 4000m
    Repeats: 200m or swim times of 2mins & longer
    Examples: 20-40 x 50m, 10-20 x 100m, 5-10 x 200m, 3-4 x 400m

EN3: Overload Endurance Training
    Set Length: 500 to 2000m
    Repeats: any distance up to 2000m
    Examples: 20-40 x 50m, 15-20 x 100m, 6-10 x 200m, 3-5 x 400m

Thanks okane1